Cabin vibration when driving

Apr 15, 2019
Hi all, I just picked up a new 2019 Alhambra DSG Xcellence 2.0TDI 150 and before I go down the route of dealing with technicians that say 'it's normal mate' I thought I'd check to see if anyone here has experienced anything similar.

When driving along at any speed, be it 5mph or 70mph theres a silent vibration that seems to make the middle seat backrest vibrate side to side! I drove a new sharan for 3 years in 2014 and can't say I noticed that at all. I also notice the engine resonance can be felt very slightly through the steering wheel which sends your arms and hands to sleep after about 15 minutes of motorway driving. It's not a wheel balance issue etc because when you back off into coast you can see the seat vibration lessen in the rear view mirror.

If anyone here with a 150 TDI DSG Alhambra (preferably Xcellence) could glance in their rear view next time your driving could check their middle seat in the rear view for any vibration effect I would be grateful :)

Many thanks.

Jun 13, 2020
Hi there, I’m new to the group and just wondering if you received any feedback on this post?
I have a 2016 DSG 2.0 TDI Alhambra SE Lux and have exactly the same issue.
If I reach back with my left arm when driving and feel the base of the centre seat, I can feel really quite bad vibration. It’s driving my son crazy every time we go anywhere!
Had it back to the dealer as it was noticeable on the steering wheel a bit when driving, but not too bad, so I’ve had the wheels balanced, which cured the slight vibration on the wheel, but it’s made no difference to the centre seat in the back. I’ve obviously checked all the basic bolts that keep the seat in place but nothing to find there with the seat bolted in nice and tight.
Hoping you had some luck with yours...?
Cheers
Richard

runboy

Alhambra 2.0TDI 150bhp Excellence DSG
Oct 14, 2001
Norfolk
I've got the same model (2017) so will check. Out of interest are all three middle row seats in the same position i.e. the middle seat isn't pushed forward of the outer two? If so I wondered if the outer seats would support the middle seat when they are all in line.

Jun 13, 2020
I've got the same model (2017) so will check. Out of interest are all three middle row seats in the same position i.e. the middle seat isn't pushed forward of the outer two? If so I wondered if the outer seats would support the middle seat when they are all in line.

Hi there, makes no difference on seat position, vibration in all positions.
Thanks for your reply
Richard

runboy

Alhambra 2.0TDI 150bhp Excellence DSG
Oct 14, 2001
Norfolk
Hi there, makes no difference on seat position, vibration in all positions.
Thanks for your reply
Richard
Went out for a drive and the middle seat is secure and no noise. The Alhambra overall is one of the best cars I've had for lack of squeeks and rattles in the cabin.

Hopefully SEAT can find the problem with yours. One last question, have you folded down the middle seat and does it still rattle? Wonder if that would at least indicate the base was the problem or the backrest.

Jun 13, 2020
Went out for a drive and the middle seat is secure and no noise. The Alhambra overall is one of the best cars I've had for lack of squeeks and rattles in the cabin.

Hopefully SEAT can find the problem with yours. One last question, have you folded down the middle seat and does it still rattle? Wonder if that would at least indicate the base was the problem or the backrest.

hi there, sorry for the late reply, yes, tried the seat folded down too, makes no difference at all, still the exact same vibration.
To be honest, unless I can find the answer out myself through a bit of trial and error, I’ll probably put up with it until the car goes in for MOT and service later this year and ask them to have another look at it then. I’m sure it’s nothing major, more of an annoyance (to my kids and any back seat passengers, so I’m alright Jack!) so we’ll see how it goes.
But I agree in general, the Alhambra is a lovely car to drive and I have no complaints with it other than this. There are no other knocks or squeaks inside the car, which is always a pain in the arse, so I suppose this is why the vibration in that middle rear seat is bugging me, that fact that everything else is perfect!
If I get any success with it I’ll reply again.
Cheers, Richard.

Reactions: runboy
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise