Cable - On the Cheap

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Hmmm, i took the cheap option and bought a cable of ebay without thinking too much about it, I then thought about how it would fit to my shiney new lap top, and looking at it , i have a 15 pin serial port at the back.

Am i right in thinking when this cable arrives it will only be 9 Pin or am i worrying about nothing....

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Serial ports normally only have 9 (or 25 if they're old) pins. What you're looking at is the VGA out connector not a serial port.

I have no idea since I don't know what cable you bought or what you intend to use it for :confused: Never heard of a 15 pin serial port either. They're either 9 pin or 25 pin as far as I'm aware...

edit: must type faster

p.s. VGA out connectors are 9 pin too, but they are a female connection, unlike a serial port which is male.

Last edited:

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
mrcoyote said:
Serial ports normally only have 9 (or 25 if they're old) pins. What you're looking at is the VGA out connector not a serial port.
yup, big D'oh! for empi5.
if you dont have a serial com port then bung it on here and get your money back on the accessories for sale, they will sell ok.

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Ok then, I have no serial port so it has answered my own question, Phaps i shouldnt be so saffy and buy the real deal.

Most modern laptops don't have serial ports or parallel ports on them any more, it's a real pain in my line of work where the industrial printers we sell are largely still manufactured with parallel ports. You have to buy a port replicator to get these ports :censored:

What are you actually trying to do Empi5?

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Well as you can gather im no computer expert I just want to be able to download and use the free version of VAG-Com so i can just check and clear error faults..

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
cordobabrendy said:
my hp nc6000 has a serial port and m processor too so does me great and as its a work one its all covered should owt break!
If it's anything like the ones we had it definately will break...

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
GreyKnight said:
p.s. VGA out connectors are 9 pin too, but they are a female connection, unlike a serial port which is male.

Not true. VGA connectors are high density 15W D Type Sockets. They have the same outline as a 9W D Type but have an extra row of pins down the middle.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
How long have you had it? I had mine for about 5 months and strangely that was fine, but most of the other bought were having various failures every day. Being on first name terms with the onsite engineer is not a good thing... especially when he's coming every day. :rolleyes:

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
lol our company has a compaq authorised workshop in our office. these laptops have been fine though. better than the ibm thinkpad t40,41,42 and latest 43's that are dieing by the dozen on our maintenance contract customers.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.