Cam Belt Change advise

daz5182fr

Hi there,

I hope you can help, i have purchased a leon FR tdi 170 froma seat dealer and i pick her up in a couple of weeks when my private plate is transferred.

I have a question though, when I had a golf 170 i had the timing belt and water pump done at 40k miles. But from looking on here i have found it should be 80k or 4 years.

The leon i'm buying is a 09 plate (march) and has 44500 miles.

The dealer says the cam belt doesn't need to be done until it has either 80000 miles or 8 years old!

What do i do?

I don't really want to be having to have the belt and pump changed in 4 months time.

thanks in advance.

Darren

Last edited by a moderator:

daz5182fr

Well i have just received a response from the sales man.

"I spoke with our service department and whilst Seat do put on their website that the recommend a change at this interval, the official service schedule for the vehicle requires a change at 8 years / 80000 miles, whichever comes first."

Looks like they don't want to change it then.

Sast

Feb 17, 2012
Wigan
In the book it states 80k too. I tried to play that card when I picked mine up but they read that thing like the bible! They were having non of it.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
its 4 years or 120000 miles for the fr i got this from Seat UK Technical department.

i had this issue earlier this year as i bought a car that was 3 years 8 months old and had 40300 miles, the 4 years is the recommended age but the mileage depends which engine. i got the belt changed free after a few stern words in the right ears!

me personally id be pointing out the car is 4 years old in march and your not buying a car to be forking out 300 quid maintemance for a timing belt 3-4 month after buying the car. id hedge my bets your paying close to 10 grand for the car so i wouldnt be happy with there response.

my stance would be change the belt or the deal is off.....no negotiation as the customer is always right. have a look at the seat website under the service link theres a section leads you to details of routine maintenance intervals

daz5182fr

its 4 years or 120000 miles for the fr i got this from Seat UK Technical department.

i had this issue earlier this year as i bought a car that was 3 years 8 months old and had 40300 miles, the 4 years is the recommended age but the mileage depends which engine. i got the belt changed free after a few stern words in the right ears!

me personally id be pointing out the car is 4 years old in march and your not buying a car to be forking out 300 quid maintemance for a timing belt 3-4 month after buying the car. id hedge my bets your paying close to 10 grand for the car so i wouldnt be happy with there response.

my stance would be change the belt or the deal is off.....no negotiation as the customer is always right. have a look at the seat website under the service link theres a section leads you to details of routine maintenance intervals

Yeah mate I'm inclined to agree with you. I'll be speaking to the manager tomorrow.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Well i have just received a response from the sales man.

"I spoke with our service department and whilst Seat do put on their website that the recommend a change at this interval, the official service schedule for the vehicle requires a change at 8 years / 80000 miles, whichever comes first."

Looks like they don't want to change it then.

Get someone you know to ring the dealer and ask for the price of a 4th year service and see if they quote for a belt or not, most do.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members