Cam Follower change Fail

matty_glanza

Aug 15, 2011
Cheshire
just tried to change the cam follower on my 06 tfsi an fail. ive watched the video an seen other guides an thought it doesnt look too hard for fort id give it ago myself. i got stump when i realised on mine the bit that on the guide is i rubber pipe mine is a metal fuel line so not just a case of pressing the clip. so i fort id start just screwing it but then decided it was getting a bit too technical for me so screwed everything back together. but not the that part squirts out fuel everytime i turn the key. wot can i do? please help

matty_glanza

Aug 15, 2011
Cheshire
CAmfollower.jpg

this bit was metal on mine

hubbly_bubbly

[center][img]http://i374.
Aug 18, 2008
Johannesburg, South Africa
On the older 2.0TFSi motors those fuel return lines are metal and alot stiffer. Makes the cam follower change so much trickier. I did a change on my friends Audi A3. Best to loosen the nut and remove that return line. The ones with the rubber lines can be left on as there is enough flex in the hose to pull the fuel pump away and change the follower.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Could be loose and needs more tightening, also looks like you may have rounded the nut on it but I could be wrong.

hubbly_bubbly

[center][img]http://i374.
Aug 18, 2008
Johannesburg, South Africa
Remove the nut on the line to the right, then remove the threaded insert (copper coloured unit), be careful when you take that out there are small loose seals inside. That should give decent access to the other line to tighten or loosen accordingly?

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
I'd try removing it and seeing if there is a part number on it, or wait for someone with ETKA to help you out. Or you could try and ring your local dealership and ask them. I just hope you haven't cross threaded it!

Paulki

Jul 12, 2006
Enfield
I had the same problem with mine, I couldn't undo the banjo fitting so I just loosened all the retaining clips for the metal pipe and got just enough slack to pull the fuel pump out and swap the follower; it changed a 15min job into a 1hr job! :banghead2

matty_glanza

Aug 15, 2011
Cheshire
managed to take the pump off to find wear on the follower and some on the fuel pump so decided to replace the fuel pump so rang my nearest seat IMG Warrington and when ordering i told them that my car has the full metal fuel lines in the engine bay which them replied thats fine they ask for my reg an sed that would be the right one. Brill i sed! WRONG sent my mum to pick it up for me as i was in work then go home to find its the different fitment. any one no wear on my original fuel pump is the part number or of some one better to talk to or get the parts?

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
I thought all the pumps were the same apart from the 1 of the fitting on the bottom.
Is it possible to adapt your car to the newer style?
On the newer style with the rubber hose there is a join close by is yours different?

matty_glanza

Aug 15, 2011
Cheshire
yeh just the one fitting at the bottom but you cant get that seperatly or not that i no of anyway. there is a join close by but it is just joining to more metal fuel lines

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
On mine it has a rubber hose about 4 inches long which then slides over a metal pipe.
I just wondered if you had the hose would it connect to your existing metal pipe.
Any chance you can take a picture of your new pump fitting and your old pump fitting?
Can you see any damage to your original fitting or could it be a seal or washer that's not sealing?

matty_glanza

Aug 15, 2011
Cheshire
sorry dont have a picture right at the minute but i think i no wot you mean. so you saying i could get the same size ribber pipe as the one on yours then cut the metal fuel line back then just slide the rubber pipe over the fuel line and the new fitment? does you metal fuel that your rubber pipe slides over look the same as mine in the pics above?

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Here's the 2 types of fitment
2F7983DE-3E42-45D3-9BFA-7F8A7A137876-528-00000016CAE36B71.jpg

37AC2152-06FE-4D20-82A9-166FD5950F74-528-00000016CA7FAFEA.jpg

I thought the fitting could be unscrewed and changed from pump to pump.
Your new pump must have a fitting like the APR one and your old one same as the second pump.
Looking at that I can't see why anything would be wrong with your original pump.
Surely it's either the seals between the banjo fixing or the pipe has become damaged.
It's difficult without seeing it but from what you describe the fuel is leaking between the banjo connection and not the fuel pump.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members