cam trouble??

strugers1

Hi people, as a lot of you would have seen I've had troubles with my hybrid tdi leon
I went to vw and they checked vacuume, vacuume hoses And actuator....there all perfect
I was advised by the vw technition that I should check for cam wear...what issues would I get with cam wear?or excessivly worn cams??
Would I get low down rpm power loss with massive over fuelling??
Please help
Karl

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I'd think it would affect the fuel/air mix aswell as the valve timing. The ecu has been set up for the engine in good nick but obviously a worn cam is going to alter things.:)

strugers1

Hmmm yeah I guess so..... I just can't think what else it could be tbh....I've changed tried everything......except for actual engine parts internally

strugers1

Yeah mate turbo dynamics stage two:) but it hasn't ever really run well cos of this issue which has cost too much money:(......
Once sorted shell be an animal haha

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I would've thought a bigger turbo takes longer to spool so you lose low end but kick ass further up. I remember watchin top gear when they were tryin the new evo 10. It could keep up with the lambo and that but Jezzer was on about the low end being a bit pants because of the size of the turbo. I mean I would think a worn cam would give low power all the time and not just at lower revs but I'm not sure. It might be worth a look on some of the tdi specific sites like myturbodiesel.com. You could even try a post for info. I sometimes use it because they are totally tdi obsessed lol.:D

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
I had cam follower failure. No symptoms just and engine that conked out while thrashing around the nurburgring.

When fixed it went better as the worn followers were causing a lot of drag which caused the cam belt to jump 3 teeth.

strugers1

I understand what your saying but if I floor it low down in say second, it won't pull at all it'll smoke and run poo....its not lag its a problem lol...... Ill just check cams and see what happens really its only hour labour t vw jcb so ill await the news lol

brad1

Everyone on here thinks its lag and spool time. It isnt lag, it completely bogs down and is like a n/a diesel with no turbo. Its a problem

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Does it spool up eventually? Could just be the actuator / stop screw setup is wrong and the vanes are opening too soon.

Has it run like this from the first day you had the hybrid fitted. If so, I think its just too much of a coincidence for it to be something else.

strugers1

Well we thought this mate,but I took it to vw amd they checked vaccume amd the actuator to .ale surebit runs the cycle..... I'm taking it to abplace that are gonna check everything through with finebtook comb

strugers1

Its been mapped time and time again....it worked fine with the stage1 hybrid then had stage2 and then troubles on second stage2 turbo and same thing :S

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
I still say get somebody else to map it. Cam issues don`t just suddenly happen. They take a long time and gradually get worse. If you have your stock turbo still get it fitted and have a standard map put back on the car. Even if it isn`t the map a tuning shop will be able to much quicker and easier work out whats wrong. Have you contacted turbo dynamics as the stop screw and actuator arm is probably set at a different place then a stock turbo so a standard VW dealer or garage wouldn`t know what it should be set at or really what they are doing anyway.

May 22, 2009
South Wales
i had similar problems with my hybrid! the turbo company set the turbo mechanism to standard settings! i had mine originally tuned by rs tuning and then sent it back to cr turbo for rebuild and they put it back to the standard settings!
i found mine was boosting at 3.5 to 4k - then some times it wouldnt boost at all!

as devonmikey says is worth adjusting the stop on the vnt mechanism on the turbo to see if you can tune it yoursself! its an 3.5 or 4mm allen key with a 8mm nut to adjust it!

your not along tho mate! my hybrid is only just runnning correctly now after about 10 months!

strugers1

Yeah I've spoojke to turbo dynamics on several occasions and tbh there helpfully unhelpful....they never think its them and short of taking my turbo off again and that's costs a bomb ill just keep reading up on it and I've got a man that's gonna check it out for me on 29th this month.....hopefully then all will be ok:)

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
i had similar problems with my hybrid! the turbo company set the turbo mechanism to standard settings! i had mine originally tuned by rs tuning and then sent it back to cr turbo for rebuild and they put it back to the standard settings!
i found mine was boosting at 3.5 to 4k - then some times it wouldnt boost at all!

as devonmikey says is worth adjusting the stop on the vnt mechanism on the turbo to see if you can tune it yoursself! its an 3.5 or 4mm allen key with a 8mm nut to adjust it!

your not along tho mate! my hybrid is only just runnning correctly now after about 10 months!

I had a standard reconditioned turbo fit to my ibiza and the turbo was not coming in until about 2.5k. Totally flat below that and pretty undriveable. Also kept going into limp mode.

VNT stop screw/actuator needed readjusting and had took a month to sort it out. Initially i got it boosting at 1800 rpm and coming in full whack just over 2k. Left it like that for a couple of weeks and still didn't feel right. Just bogged down when pulling away and had no power. Couldn't hear that nice spool up noise you get.

Another hour spent yesterday with the laptop and spanners out and think I have cracked it. Power coming in pretty much how it felt from the factory with that lovely noise and full power right where it used to be. No limp mode etc. Now to test it over the following week!

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
What sort of boost is reading when it bogs down?

Its definately not cam wear, they would have eaten through the hydraulic lifters by now.

strugers1

It builds to 1.6 then the boost guage flutters and struggles to hit 1.7 and there's loads of smoke and no power at all until I lift..then floor it again and its fine....as long as its over 2.5k rpm

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.