cambelt change

gp200ts1

what mileage should the cambelt be changed at?
i read that it should be 60000 but i've also seen 45000. what is the official seat info.
its a 2001 tdi pd model by the way.
thanks in advance
paul:D

ALT54

Dec 9, 2004
i think you will find it is 40,000
Our 51 plate TDi Alhambra was due its cambelt change at the 40,000 mile service. we chopped it in for a newer one before it had to be done. :D You are looking at a 3 to 4 Hundred pound job through Seat dealership.:( Plus 40,000 mile service.
Paul

Anthony Webb

As for all Seat models all depends upon engine code and chassis number, which states at what mileage or year interval replacement. I.E model year 2003 states 60,000 miles where as 2004 model year states 80,000 miles.

Anthony Webb said:
As for all Seat models all depends upon engine code and chassis number, which states at what mileage or year interval replacement. I.E model year 2003 states 60,000 miles where as 2004 model year states 80,000 miles.

If thats the case why do Ford and VW use 40K and 60k on the Galaxy and Sharan? which have the same engines? IIRC in 2000 they dropped it back on some models to 40K due to reliability issues! where on the 2001/2? models they left it at 60K, as you say your the master tech at a Seat garage could you check up on these figures with your tech dept and get back to us with definative milages as Ford and VW quote for replaceing the belt in the 40K service on some TDI models?

Last edited:

Anthony Webb

fredt said:
If thats the case why do Ford and VW use 40K and 60k on the Galaxy and Sharan? which have the same engines? IIRC in 2000 they dropped it back on some models to 40K due to reliability issues! where on the 2001/2? models they left it at 60K, as you say your the master tech at a Seat garage could you check up on these figures with your tech dept and get back to us with definative milages as Ford and VW quote for replaceing the belt in the 40K service on some TDI models?

Seat have specific timming belt changes dependent on engine code and chassis range the information i use is direct from Seat, this is for both petrol and diesel engines. I can only go by the information i have sorry if this doesnt help you and i agree with you the VW engine is used in the Ford and Sharon.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
fredt said:

Like he said - it's chassis number dependant.. perhaps a material change on the belt for the engines within a chassis range

there are so many factors that can affect it - don't bite the guys head off if it's not the information you want to hear!

Stu B

DarthWombleIII & WombleII
Just for the info... mine has only 25k on the clock yet its 4yrs old this summer - In June IT WILL have its Cam belt changed & tensioner - purely as a matter of safety.. My thinking - average mileage 12k per yr x 4 yrs that makes 48k ish.. Even though mine has only done 25k the age is a factor in my opinion as well - Hence its change, plus the fact that we off around Germany/Luxemburg - I dont want any issues....

& yes as fred says - you dont have to get it done at a Seat place....

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
VW /Seat/ Skoda do have OE engine build problems occasionally. I had to have a belt replacement at 38k and < 2 years old - they told the techi off for pointing it out to me !!! eventually VW did the work under warranty

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members