Cambelts just gone

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Wicked. Really stupid question but when i did the timing I did the cams and crank but does the diesel pump need aligning on these engines?

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
After looking at auto data I can't see any option regarding locking the fuel pump so guess it doesn't need locking and can be in any position?

Other thought is there is a chance the cars been mapped. What happens if I'm using the markers but on the map the fuelling has been advanced? How would I know or how would you time it up?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Isn't pump timing for mechanical injection systems though?
Don't get me wrong I remember how important it was when I did the job on an old 306, ran like a sack of spuds with the belt a tooth out.

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
I was thinking the same thing regarding the injection system but the local garage suggested it so figured I'd investigate

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I thought the fuelling would be advanced by changing the tables in the ecu. Not physically adjusting the belt. I've had a couple of cambelts now at stage 1 and stage 2. I didn't even mention to the garage it was mapped or who by.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Fuel pressure timing is important to ensure the high pressure delivery pulses from the high pressure pump coincide with the compression stroke of each cylinder.

Pinning the high pressure fuel pump is for the CR engines. The PD engines do not have a fuel pump in the cambelt path.

With the PD engines the high pressure pump element of the fuelling system is built into the injectors and are operated by a rocker arm driven by the exhaust cam, so fuel pressure timing is linked to the timing of the exhaust cam.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Yeah as long as the cam timing is correct you won't have any issues with fuel delivery.

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Thank you it's just one of those things I guess. I was thinking about 1k so it just hurts A bit lol.

I considered a refurb lump as they are 1300 fitted but now I'm already a few hundred in with the garage it'll work out about the same pennies I reckon

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
You could pick up another mk2 for £1800, and sell yours for spares and repairs and get a couple of hundred back or keep yours for spares.

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Apparently the engineering place doing the head are charging 8 to 900 as they will only do it if they do all 16 valves, skim, rockers, new/repaired camshaft. The rest is Cam belt kit, water pump, head gasket and bolt sets, oil and fluid service.

Marky N

Jul 15, 2014
London
Really interesting thread albeit unfortunate experience with the cambelt. I'm confused. A little. I've got a chain. I keep hearing that even these have to be tensioned. Not sure of the interval and is there any warning sounds of the chain gets slack. Was also told that my belt needs changing. Every 40k by my dealer who was sorting out another problem. Had he made a mistake thinking mine is of the non- chain variety or is it the other belt that is visible that needs changing? Made reference to changing the water pump as well.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Had he made a mistake thinking mine is of the non- chain variety or is it the other belt that is visible that needs changing? Made reference to changing the water pump as well.

As the work is in the same area, to save on labour (and your engine melting) it's common to do the cambelt and waterpump together (just had mine done weekend gone). If you have a TFSI, then your lucky enough to have a chain on one side and a cambelt on the other. Opinions split on whether the chain just goes or not. But my garage won't touch it unless it starts making a noise.

Marky N

Jul 15, 2014
London
As the work is in the same area, to save on labour (and your engine melting) it's common to do the cambelt and waterpump together (just had mine done weekend gone). If you have a TFSI, then your lucky enough to have a chain on one side and a cambelt on the other. Opinions split on whether the chain just goes or not. But my garage won't touch it unless it starts making a noise.
A bit naive here but isn't the timing chain an alternative to the normal belt? https://www.aa.co.nz/cars/motoring-blog/engine-maintenance-cambelts-and-chains/

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.