Can I make my FR sport exhaust noise a little louder?

CallumFox5

Jan 9, 2018
Evening,

Can I make my FR sport exhaust noise louder, as I can only really enjoy it when I bend down and listen to it?

I’m looking at changing the exhaust tips at some point.

Thanks,
Callum.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Morning,

What year and engine FR do you have? If it's the MK2 FR TFSI then getting the middle silencer (after the cat) removed and replaced with a straight through pipe for about £90 but I'm unsure if with the new MOT regulations you would get away with it.

If you have about £600 you can get a resonated BCS cat back exhaust which would give it a nicer deep tone, this would also include the new tips you are looking for. Tips by them self would not achieve anything I doubt apart from looks.

It's all about budget...

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
If it helps, I've just had a VAGsport resonator delete fitted to my Cupra 300 DSG. I had the same issue as you in that I wanted a better exhaust note.

The resonator delete pipe cost £150, and fitting took half an hour and cost me £40.

As has been said before, I don't think that changing the tips will make any significant difference. Unless you wanted to fork out for a full exhaust, I think you could do a lot worse than getting a resonator delete for yours. The good thing is that it's fully reversible too, so if you don't like it (or if you need to hand the car back), you can simply unbolt it and bolt the resonated mid section back in.

I've attached a video below which gives an indication of how it sounds on a Cupra from a cold(ish) start. It may not sound the same on the FR, but it'll sound better than stock that's for sure..!

https://imgur.com/a/22zByIV

Reactions: Jon Wright

RuggedSeat

Aug 3, 2017
Europe
If it helps, I've just had a VAGsport resonator delete fitted to my Cupra 300 DSG. I had the same issue as you in that I wanted a better exhaust note.

The resonator delete pipe cost £150, and fitting took half an hour and cost me £40.

As has been said before, I don't think that changing the tips will make any significant difference. Unless you wanted to fork out for a full exhaust, I think you could do a lot worse than getting a resonator delete for yours. The good thing is that it's fully reversible too, so if you don't like it (or if you need to hand the car back), you can simply unbolt it and bolt the resonated mid section back in.

I've attached a video below which gives an indication of how it sounds on a Cupra from a cold(ish) start. It may not sound the same on the FR, but it'll sound better than stock that's for sure..!

https://imgur.com/a/22zByIV

Thanks, that's a nice and brutal sound! Sounds like it should stock. Wonder how it sounds on load when warm!

But what I didn't get is, did you completely remove the first silencer/resonator closest to the downpipe and put a straight pipe there?

Or did you put some other kind of resonator? Got confused here:
"I've just had a VAGsport resonator delete fitted"

And my only problem isn't the sound because now I got a pure Cupra bumper but no twin exhaust, and I can't find some used for the Cupra here in Sweden. You could say it's rare..

GTI exhaust are exactly the same except the tailpipes shape and distance from each other.

I measured a 2014 GTI it was about 110 cm apart from each other.
Then I measured a 2018 GTI Performance it was about 115 cm from each other.

I still haven't got my car back yet due to some mechanical issue so I could only find a Seat Leon Cupra ST and I measured the pipes on that one and they where 120 cm from each other. Have in thought that the Cupra have 140x75 sized pipes each so GTI pipes would fit a Cupra (if the estate and the hatchback are the same in width). Then somehow I could get some 4 inch pipes to get them centered.

Plus I would remove the big resonator and put a straight pipe. But it's such hassle not to just find at least the rear Cupra section without having to spend 600-1200£.

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
It’s just the mid section which is replaced. I took a photo when it was up on the ramp which shows what I mean.

36344290b038037c1134d2d6daabc51f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RuggedSeat

Aug 3, 2017
Europe
It’s just the mid section which is replaced. I took a photo when it was up on the ramp which shows what I mean.

Yeah that's exactly how I mean I would have done with an VAG exhaust. Only have silencer on the rear.

Hope it doesn't drone. Maybe you can tell how it is after you have tested it out?

May I ask where you bought the replacement pipe?

Regards

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah that's exactly how I mean I would have done with an VAG exhaust. Only have silencer on the rear.

Hope it doesn't drone. Maybe you can tell how it is after you have tested it out?

May I ask where you bought the replacement pipe?

Regards

I got my resonator delete from Progressive Parts - https://progressiveparts.com

I’ve had a decent drive in the car today and the noise really isn’t that noticeable when driving. I don’t think drone would be an issue..

DannyallenFR

Feb 16, 2018
Hello
This will not work on your fr if it's diesel the dpf takes the noise away so you would need to remove it and replace with a straight pipe.

I have a 2.0 cr engine fr and I have a non resonated miltek cat back exhaust on mine still as quiet as the stock 1 was.

I'm going for a twin exit exhaust in the coming 5 weeks or so like the cupra r going to get straight through no rear box and the miltek will be for sale then but as for noise dpf in=no noise.

Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Stoob

Apr 21, 2018

Is there any cutting required to do this? or is it just clamps? I want to do this to mine when i eventually get it, but as its a lease car im limited to what i can do.

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
Is there any cutting required to do this? or is it just clamps? I want to do this to mine when i eventually get it, but as its a lease car im limited to what i can do.

Yes, the original exhaust needs to be cut at one end (it’s already clamped at the other). The new section is then clamped at both ends, and the original exhaust can be fitted back on using the same clamps.

I’m not sure how fussy the lease company will be when it’s time to hand the car back (or whether they’d even know that the exhaust had been cut and clamped), but that’s 3 years from now and I might end up buying the car anyway so I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it..!

I guess I could always have the cut section welded back up when I put the original exhaust back on - I can tell the lease company that it was cracked and that I had it welded then

FR3

Jul 13, 2018
I have a 1.8 tsi mk3 178 and ended up getting a backbox delete and quad pipes, in eco its good, no motorway drone really, like it's barely noticeable, if I put my foot down then it's pretty audible but in a good way, dsg farts, little overrun etc. The resonator was replaced with a custom one but I think I might get it changed because I want it a little raspier and potentially a sports cat as well. It was about 450 in total.
20fef1078cb9d2cd31e6b1941e10ac5f.jpg
464c45e71b4acd86d7dddd65408c3736.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RuggedSeat

Aug 3, 2017
Europe
Remove the resenator completly. Buy used Cupra/Golf GTI exhaust. I have MK7 GTI exhaust which i bought, then i bought straight pipes.

So now it sounds more like i want and the Cupra rear part with its diffuser looks great with one exhaust on each side on my 1.8 TSI FR.

But the DSG farts only comes when i accelerate and give around 30% gas and it shifts around 3800rpm. No fart when I give full gas under load.

Jul 29, 2019
I have a 1.8 tsi mk3 178 and ended up getting a backbox delete and quad pipes, in eco its good, no motorway drone really, like it's barely noticeable, if I put my foot down then it's pretty audible but in a good way, dsg farts, little overrun etc. The resonator was replaced with a custom one but I think I might get it changed because I want it a little raspier and potentially a sports cat as well. It was about 450 in total.

Hi mate do you have a video of it dsg farting at all?

hi mate do you have a video of it at all?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise