Can you change from Drive to Sport or Manual.while driving a DSG equipped Ibiza?

mainaman

Feb 19, 2010
London
I friend of mine test drove my Cupra yesterday and he changed from Drive to Sport or Manual(not sure which one),while driving at 40 mph.Is it okay to do it without stopping,manual states don't change to P or R,while driving,but my dealer told me always to apply the brakes while changing modes.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
As per the manual, i could anderstand why you wouldn't want to put it in "P"ark or "R"everse whilst driving hehehehehehehehhehe. Agreed that you can change modes while driving though.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Yeah even neutral is fine. I always change from D to S when going for a swift overtake, feel more like a manual car then. On the lanes I switch back to paddles then on roundabouts I swith to + - on the gear stick as you always know where the + is on the stick where as when spinnig the weel on a roundabout you could possibly hit the wrong paddle.

Dave 77

Dave ;)
Nov 13, 2009
Hertfordshire
Same here, when on round abouts or junctions use the + - as the hard to get to padles.

Though i do sometimes forget if im in D and go to push it into 2nd and end up in N :funk:

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
i was driving a BMW 635 CSi auto years ago with a load of drunk passengers past Tolworth on the A3. the rear passenger (who owned the car) managed to kick the selector into reverse at 80mph, at which point the box fluid boiled instantly and i had to coast off, park up and wait for everything to cool down! 20 min later it worked again - result. i also established, on a different day, at what speed a V12 XJS auto changes up from 2nd gear to 3rd on full throttle - 110mph. those were the days.

mainaman

Feb 19, 2010
London
One more question:when testdriving,i let them trash it after not more than 6 mins of normal street driving,but the car was driven to the local shop and back one hour before the testdrive,so the engine wasn't ''winter morning'' cold.

I usually drive at least 10 mins before exceeding 2.5k,too bad there is no water and oil temp gauges and the only indicator is the fuel consumption.

In the mornings it starts at 10 MPG and i take it to 35 MPG,no trashing below 30 MPG.I know that the oil takes longer to warm-up than the water.

On the testdrive it started at 20 MPG,i am just careful with the engine and i don't want to take any chances,so was the testdrive too reckless in regards to engine stress?

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Wouldn't worry mate, the little 1.4 is a strong block! It has to be to take all that boost. Tust let it warm up like you are doing and it'll be fine.

Can't belive the 6 series let you get it into reverse while it was going forwards!

mainaman

Feb 19, 2010
London
Hm,when i was testdriving the Boca,the dealer was urging me to boot it as soon as we left the dealership,what does that say for demonstrator cars!

How could they omit a simple temp reading is beyond me,even the Fabia has got it:rolleyes:

I have read that revving a cold engine accelerates the wear of the pistons and the rods as the oil has not lubricated the whole engine properly yet.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members