Can you get good sound in a car - split from 6x9 Question??

slimjim said:
Best place to find 6x9's is in the BIN behind some guys house who has woken up and realised that they sound SHITE in comparison to the same price of components....

That is where I would look for some.

Then when I found them .... I would burn them.... [:@]

To put it a little nicer....... Listen to IceCavern.....

they'll do for a car, your never gonna get brilliant sound in a car, so why bother, i'd sooner spend the money on better kit for the house

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
g60jet said:
your never gonna get brilliant sound in a car......

Don't let Pete hear you say that !!! ;)

I know Pete's install is a bit extreme for most people, but it sounds absolutley awesome :thumbup: far better than any home setup I've listened to !!

Over the winter I'm going to be putting a 'budget' install into my Cordoba, we're talking in the region of £1,000 for everything.

Andy

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
g60jet said:
they'll do for a car, your never gonna get brilliant sound in a car, so why bother, i'd sooner spend the money on better kit for the house

I beg to differ... I have brilliant sound in my car, and it gets better the more I tune it. But then I have spent a few pennies... :whistle:

Xplod aren't great. Kenwood however make a very good set of budget components at around £150.

How much do you want to spend and I'll recommend something, however I would really recommend you go into your local Car Audio shop ( NOT Halfords etc ) and have a chat and see if you can listen to some different kit. If you tell me where in the country you are I can recommend somewhere good.

Pete

andyj said:
Don't let Pete hear you say that !!! ;)

I know Pete's install is a bit extreme for most people, but it sounds absolutley awesome :thumbup: far better than any home setup I've listened to !!

Over the winter I'm going to be putting a 'budget' install into my Cordoba, we're talking in the region of £1,000 for everything.

Andy

Im sure it is for a car, aka loud and mental, but i prefer quality audio in the house and im not on about that pooh they sell at 99% of electrical retailers, im on about Hi Fi that really is Hi quality. like Niam to name one http://www.naim-audio.com/ there stuff is the muts nuts

IASCA competition cars parked up with there stereo on...hmmm see my point, start moving, the acoustics change, the roadnoise...to many external sounds to produce the sound in a clean sound stage... hence why bother. Im not saying you cant get good sound in a car cos you can, just is an awful reproduction environment so why bother. I spend a lot of time in my car driving to and from work etc. nothing would make me spend more that £1000 on ICE.

yes components are better that 6*9s, because they are more like a house speaker, a crossover and each speaker reproduces its own frequncies without the counter effect from the other freq's at the end of the day its how far you want to take it really.

I'm a bit of an audiophile myself in the home, I did Audio & Video System at uni and was an Broadcast/studio Engineer for a radio station at my last job before i moved back to the UK so audio is my thing if you like.

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Loud and mental IS NOT my thing at all mate. ( Although it can do that as a by product )

Road noise is a problem yes, but I spend 99% of the time I'm listening to music in the car, so that's where my "hifi" is. Yes a car isn't the perfect place to reproduce sound, in fact it's bloody aweful. But that's the challenge. In a house I just go out and buy a CD player, amp, pair of speakers, sit in the middle of the room and job done. There's no real skill in getting fantastic sound in a house, you just have to choose the kit right. I'm a NAD man myself in house but I make do with misson speakers on a NAD DVD now as it's more convenient to have the surround sound in the house.

I'm building the Cordoba as a pure SQ car ( ok not quite because it'll make lots of noise on demand at shows if I want it to as well ) and cutting road noise is on the top of the list of things to do. There's loads of ways to reduce noise, then there's just getting the imagine right in a new car ;)

Pete

Icecavern said:
In a house I just go out and buy a CD player, amp, pair of speakers, sit in the middle of the room and job done. There's no real skill in getting fantastic sound in a house, you just have to choose the kit right.
Pete
for a basic home set up yes, but a quality set up require more thinking about just like a car, even down to the curtains you have if you take it t the nth degree. NAD stuff isnt to bad at all, I've got a NAD amp and tuner floating around myself. Now is you wanna talk surround sound then that a whole new ball game, even right down to the shape of the room and the ratios between walls and even the celling. I see the point about the challange in the car i really do, and im pritty sure i could do a grand job myself, but the thought of tracing evey little rattle and stopping it throughout every freqencey range to do it problerly in a car just puts me off :lol: i guess you could cheat and fit a noise inverter system. now thats special!!

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
to be fair... a car is one of the WORST places to get a good sound with any amount of cash ......

But it can still be done ;)

As for SPL...... Im sure I saw a Golf once with a windscreen built to Concorde windscreen spec......

One word.... Why? :wtf:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
No matter how much I've spent on car hi-fi I'm never truly happy with it. OK so I haven't spent Pete money, but have Alpine X type front components, R type rear components, R type 12" sealed sub, V12 5 channel amp, 7.5" motorized screen / DVD head unit, 6 disc m/c and iPod converter.

Kits probably £2.5kish, but it never sounded too good in my old Leon. I started Dynamatting the car and it made a marginal imrovement as ambient noise was softened. Firstly having the tweeters firing in at you produces an odd soundstage. I've tried tuning it with Alpine's time alignment function but its still a bit artificial.

6 months on and I haven't even got round to fitting the Alpine speakers in my new Leon as can't get enthusiastic enough for the effort. Plus mounting aftermarket tweeters is a pain in the doors.

I did have 6x9's in my Lupo (MB Quart 3 ways) - have to say I didn't rate those either. Strange cuppy bass with little extension, and treble / midrange was just unpleasant.

As per Pete - spend all you can in the front. My components were £240 and I think they are still lacking :cry:

Deejay

no prawn sarnies ere
Nov 8, 2002
ЯEPUБLIC OF MANCUNIA
some good points raised here , if the topic has gone slightly off thread.

Big SQ'er myself, basically the reasoning like pete said, thats where I listen to my music.

ps- If anyone wants to have a listen to my set-up give us a shout before its too late.

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
slimjim said:
Touche, touche......

They just put microphones in them and test them don't they?
(Never understood it)

Well that's how they measure it yeah, but a lot of work goes into them to get the extra 0.01db over the next guy.

I'll spit these topics as we've gone too far off topic now and it's not fair to the original poster.

Pete

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
Deejay said:
some good points raised here , if the topic has gone slightly off thread.

Big SQ'er myself, basically the reasoning like pete said, thats where I listen to my music.

ps- If anyone wants to have a listen to my set-up give us a shout before its too late.
Before it's too late?

What are you doing with it? Selling or burning? ;)