Candy MK2 cupra project

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
After reading allens (DjHorace) thread i thought it was good to see how everyone has modified there cars and what experiences we have all had so here it goes.

I went to test drive the cupra down in paisley one afternoon, arrived at the dealer to find out the demo was away for the day so wasn't off to a good start, however the manager offered me his own private cupra for a test drive, so off we went, first thing i noticed was i nearly went through the windsreen after touching the brakes, then it was how smooth and linear the power output was and best of all how planted the car felt on the twisties. We got back to the garage and that was it the deal was done i had to have one. I chose a few options on the car such as Ipod connection, arm rest, bluetooth MDF, spoiler and skirts, and my favourite was the full leather~
whiteleon011.jpg

So at midnight when the 57 plate was released and i jumped out of my old pride and joy~
LeonCupraR002.jpg

and into my new pride and joy~
whiteleon6009-2.jpg

Literally 24 hours later the car had a set of H&R lowering springs on as i couldnt stand how high the car looked, i was very pleased with the new stance of the car and also how OEM the aftermarket springs made the car feel.
whiteleon003.jpg

1 month and 2000miles later it was down to Star performance for the Stage 1 remap and a very big smile.

It was a couple of months later that the crappy cheap OEM engine cover/air intake decided to part company with the car, it had come loose from the bungs and cracked around each fixing, nothing that a hacksaw and a bit of gaffer tape couldnt fix until my new air intake arrived. I ordered a DBilas and fitted it to the car, took it for a test drive and wasnt sure about the noise it made for a start but stuck with it basically due to initial costs. It has grown on me since and proves to be a very good piece of kit.

By this point i was addicted to modifying my pride and joy so next came the turbo back milltek (cheers horace for the DP) and this was one of all my mods that put the biggest smile on my face due to the superb noise and extra power gained from it, very worthwhile mod IMHO.

Allen asked if i would be interested in an upgraded intercooler from the S3 to which i jumped at the chance due to it being far cheaper than any other cooler on the market and mailnly because i didnt want to fall behind allen in our modifying duel which is still ongoing to this day...

Before i new it i was going for the stage 2 GIAC remap, which only lasted about a month before i went for the High Pressure Fuel Pump and upgraded to the GIAC hammer map which i am very pleased with, i felt the car had grown into a fairly capable car that to this point has only ever been "beaten" by a race prepared porsche GT3.

The next stage of my project is to make the car handle aswell as it performed, so the next modification i did was to fit a set of Pro race 1.2, this would aid overall car weight and unsprung weight aswell as giving a less common look to the car ~
SDC11671.jpg

my latest mod was purely asthetics which was to add carbon fibre to the defuser and wing mirror caps~
various008.jpg

And that is how the car sits to this day, The car has never been on the rolling road so dont know what it is putting out power wise, all i know is i am very pleased with its look and its performance, the only part of the car i have still to upgrade is its handling and stopping power, i have managed to collect a few things over the last month and cant wait to put them on the car ~
photo8-3.jpg

P2210003.jpg

P2210004.jpg

Once all of these parts are on all i will need is a set of Bilstein B16's and i think that will be it for this project.

Hopefully i havent bored you all to much folks but i actually quite enjoyed writing this:cartman:

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
You should get more pictures of the car up bud. The few you have up do it no justice. The original set if pics you had were really cool :)

Also, for those who may not know whats in the pictures on the first kit above, that would be a Sachs Clutch kit, a Wavetrac Limited Slip Diff, Whiteline Anti Lift Kit, Autotech Anti-Roll Bars and BSH Engine mounts :D

CupraCol

Sweet ride m8,

White has to be my second fav colour after red

Where did you get the lowering springs from and who fitted them for you??

More pics wld be good :funk:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
You should try to get some of the lads on the go for a wee meet Owen - loads here and on MK5GolfGTi that would be up for it.