Cannot open boot or rear offside door

Feb 19, 2019
As the title says, we can't open the boot or rear offside door. It started as an intermittent fault with the boot and got worse over around a 2 month period. I thought it might be the key battery, however; the unlock buttons on the center console by the handbrake also don't open these two doors (I pressed unlock twice to unlock all doors).

Any ideas why the locks in these two locks would fail?

Feb 19, 2019
Yes that's correct. I had to double check the car but yes, exactly as you say, I had to reach my arm in from the drivers door to pull the handle on the rear offside door, it then opens OK from the outside. I'm not hearing the central locking mechnism on the offside rear door, same deal with the boot, can only open the boot from the inside using a knife.

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK
Its a common fault with the locks on the mk2. I did as a few others have and I drilled a 3mm hole on the lock casing spraying in WD40.

Be sure to plug the drilled hole after to stop the WD40 evaporating out.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Also don't panic if the WD40 fix doesn't work immediately, I've done two doors and both needed it to soak in overnight, after that they've worked perfectly.

Feb 19, 2019
Thanks for the responses. I've done the WD40 fix on rear offside door, it didn't work strait away so will leave it over night.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks for the responses. I've done the WD40 fix on rear offside door, it didn't work strait away so will leave it over night.
Mine took overnight on 3 of 4 doors... Hopefully you get the happy smiley face like me the next morning. Have you checked earth's etc on the boot?

Feb 19, 2019
Great news, that fixed the rear offside door!

I'm an idiot and don't know how to check the earth on the boot. I did try a new latch from ebay which didn't work. I guess it must be the handle with the seat S that's not working.

Reactions: stephen

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Great news, that fixed the rear offside door!

I'm an idiot and don't know how to check the earth on the boot. I did try a new latch from ebay which didn't work. I guess it must be the handle with the seat S that's not working.
Hey Link did you ever fix the issue with your boit not opening having issies in that department too ? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
Does anyone know how to get access to the rear door. My rear near side door won't open from the outside and wanted to try the WD40 trick. 2010 2.0 tdi SE
You may need to remove the long black plastic trim from the handle first (i didn't). Pull the complete fabric trim section off the door card off, it's tight, you'll need a plastic trim tool to start prying it off (a screwdriver may damage the plastics) i start at the outer most corner. Behind the trim it is the cable for the interior door opener and tweeter/vocal speaker, disconnect both and put the trim somewhere safe. You'll see the white locking mechanism at the door catch, drill a hole through the top of the casing 3mm/3.5mm wide, stick the WD40 straw in and spray away until it can't take no more. Actuate the lock a few times and it should work. you can wipe down the casing and stick some blue/white tack over the hole if you wish, just don't force it into the casing or it may gunk up the mechanism.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.