Car Dead

smithsc

Nov 2, 2009
Huddersfield
Hi Guys,

So i washed my car on Sunday afternoon got her looking all smart locked her up and went for a drink with some friends (Coke) When i came back about 1hr later the car coughed and spluttered into life and then just died it would start again. A friend of mine with VAG-COM came up to run some diagnostics and it came up with 5 faults all relating an electrical fault. We took the battery up checked what we could and put the battery back car still wouldn't start so i called the AA out.

When the AA man got there he hooked his battery booster onto my battery so we knew it was definately full and tried to start it and oh god all i could say was it sounded horrible like a metal on metal noise but wouldn't start, The AA man got out of the car and said there is something mechanical wrong with the car like its jumped a tooth or somet.

Its been with my mate who works at a garage he said he was going to look at it tonight i'm so worried something major has failed, has anyone else had problems with the electrics causing problems like this.

I will keep you all updated.

marcuswomersley

Jan 14, 2009
Stoke-on-Trent
My borther had a smilar problem on his ibiza after cleaning it. It turned out water had leaked onto the ecu and caused problems with everythin electrical really. And as it was running rough, that may have cuased it to jump a tooth :/ Have a look at your ecu, its easy enough to get to, take the wiper arms of by getting the plugs of the ends of the motor axel bits, then just pull all the plastic away and its located in the centre of the car, it should have guards that divert the water away from the ecu and down to the drain points.

smithsc

Nov 2, 2009
Huddersfield
Update, My mechanic rang me last night and he is baffled as to why the car is being "strange". He has checked the CAM belt and all seems to be alligned (tha cambelt was changed less than 10k ago) He has disconnected the ECU overnight to see if it will clear all the codes. He is going to ring me tonight.

p.s its a 2000 1.8 20VT Sport with 109k on the clock

smithsc

Nov 2, 2009
Huddersfield
New update, Mechanic phoned me last night to say the vavle timing has jumped he's not sure if this is the cause of the engine dying or a result so tonight were going to work on it to try and get it sorted.

Another thing were going to try and sort is blue smoke coming from the exhaust when in idle if i leave the car ticking over for 2mins and then rev it i get lots of blue smoke out of the exhaust for about 2miles then back to normal.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise