Car Expected July, worth waiting for 1st Sept ?

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Hi All,

Well received the notification that our car has been built and has left the factory today..

Given that it is now the middle of June, the dealer is expecting it during July (mid?) and is talking about and immediate July or 1st August collection..

So, what would you guys do, collect or try and negotiate a 1st Sept collection for the new 69 plate ?

I would imagine that a Sept 69 plate would have more value when negotiating a new PCP in 3 years time, or doesn't work like that ?

Dealer is being a bit awkward though, stating T&C's state that car must be collected within 7 days of them notifying you it is ready.

When asked, they state storage issues with some cars being damaged while in their compound, which I am not sure if is correct or not. I would imagine it is more down to monthly figures, as July/August must be slow for sales and registrations whereas for September they surely don't have issues meeting targets.

Anyone got any views ?

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I'll be on holiday in August so I wont be available to comment until September the 1st. I have delayed the delivery of a previous new car to avoid wasting half a months tax and to register the car in the next calendar year.
I'd inform the dealer of the date when I'll be available to collect or accept delivery and the date I'd like it registered and they can like it or lump it. The customer is always right. Why make their life easier or indeed score them a bonus for August registration?

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
Most manufacturers include in their standard Ts&Cs a clause to the effect that collection and payment must take place within 7 days of notification that the vehicle is ready for collection.

The dealer may well be willing to negotiate delivery/registration into the 1st of the following month to save a few pounds tax (or even just give you £10 petrol to compensate) but if you have signed onto the above condition (which you probably did when completing the order form), then they are not obliged to.

I have certainly managed it sometimes in the past (or alternatively taken early delivery if an incentive was there), but it's all down to what you can negotiate - always worth a try.

I'm not sure about the plate thing any more now it changes so often - you can have a 2019 car on a 68, a 19 or, shortly, 69 plate - for example. When I've done trade ins lately it's been more about the year, mileage, condition, service history etc.

Reactions: '& Son' managed

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
Depends what you're up to in the intermediate time. I've done my summer holidays, now working pretty solidly until going away in September again. So I'd take delivery ASAP. But if I was spending most of August on holiday... then I'd wait until 1st September.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.