Car fire

davezx

Feb 19, 2013
doncaster
It is unfortunate for my mother in law that her 2nd cupra has been on fire.
both times the fire has been from what appears to be on top of the front drivers side wheel.
this time tho it was caught and extinguished before taking up the whole car.
damage is still extensive enough to write it off but would like to try to repair it for her.
firemen put it down to a electrical fault but i dissagree.
Car had'nt been used for over 7hrs and theres nothing where it started to that could cause a fire.
Does the cupra have any known issues like this that could explain it?
At the moment the hardest part to fix will be the wiring loom under the scuttle panel.
will need
new wing
bumper
wheel arch liner
indicator
windscreen
scuttle panel
tyre(melted but still inflated)
possibly new alloy wheel.
may be some other parts but need to wait for police to look it over before touching it.
advice please?

andycupra

status subject to change
if the car had not been used for over 7 hrs, then this suggests electrical, or foul play.
i am unsure why you discount electrical issues? - any residual heat from driving would surely have gone long before the 7 hours.
just noticed you mention the police, - are you thinking this was foul play?

also are you saying this is the SECOND car your mother in law has had the exact same issue with?

Reactions: kanyewest

davezx

Feb 19, 2013
doncaster
ye 2nd time exact same starting place on 2 different same model leons.
i discount electrical as theres no live wires in the wheel arch that could short and create a fire.
the indicator is only wires in there and they are not live at all unless switched on.
As car was on drive unused for just over 7hrs i dont see how it would be any natural fault.
On last car it hadnt been used for 3days prior to fire.

davezx

Feb 19, 2013
doncaster
police suspect it to be the case but wont know how they are going to proceed until one comes out.
called them at 745pm sat evening and still not been out.

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Sorry to hear this. Second time in same place is extremely strange. Sounds like a fire started in wheel arch above the tyre then?

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Definitely sounds like an intentional attack, vexed neighbour perhaps? Good luck with the police, expect to wait for about 2 weeks! We had CCTV when our cars were broken into. The police were not interested & said they couldn't see the faces clearly. For safety though, would help to have CCTV. Good luck

Reactions: davezx

davezx

Feb 19, 2013
doncaster
fuming with the police tonight. after not coming out to take any details or look at damage and with no investigation i rang them today to find out when they were coming only to be told they had closed the case as they dont deem it to be malicious damage/arson. After a good rant to the officer on the phone i have had it reopened after a few choice words with them and demanded a investigation and visit from both a officer and csi to be made. They have assured me that it is now a live case and will be pursued as such and will have someone out to see it in the next few days.
Screenshot_20190212-211523.jpg

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I'm no expert in either cars or fires, but look at where the damage is originating from and the way it's spread - it looks like it started in the wheel arch and worked upwards. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but there's nothing in that part of the car that would lead to a fire - at least not a bad one.

I'd say foul play, but good luck getting the police interested. For a car that's at least around 15 years old with a low resale value, they won't give less of a damn.

I'd go down the CCTV route. Maybe they won't try to torch the car again, but you might catch someone doing something else.

davezx

Feb 19, 2013
doncaster
i agree with you on the foul play. and also on the topic of the police as they are a waste of tax payers money.
its not the facter of it being a old car to me its the issue of them not doing there job that is going to allow whoever it is to keep doing it.
Its been almost a week now and still they havent been in touch.
Car was taken by insurance company today and if police dont come out tommorow we are going to make a official complaint to them and get intouch with local papers.
The south yorkshire police have a bad name for follow ups in doncaster so bad press is something they try to keep on the low side.
Its shamefull that a 60yr old lady can be a victim of this and the police are doing nothing to help sort it out.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Oh for sure - I don't see the age or value of the car as being any reason at all for the police not to investigate - as far as I'm concerned, if the car's off the road or written off, it means she won't have access to transport, it might cause problems with work maybe, or she'll end up isolated. That's a crime, and it's horrific. If she lived in a more leafy part of town and it was a Porsche though...

Reactions: davezx
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.