Car just stopped. Not restarting?

SteJones93

Jan 30, 2017
Hi
Was driving today and the car just cut out, no warning or lights/codes. Got it towed back (bloke wasn't interested in even looking at it). Checked for codes with no results, battery is fine so are plugs.

Any help appreciated
Car is a 1.4 good stuff 60 plate

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Can you hear the electric fuel pump priming when the ignition is first turned on, also, can you smell fuel coming out of the exhaust, and finally, take a plug out to check that it is getting wetted with injected fuel.

If it is a fuel pump issue, it might be a fuse or the relay, so check them.

After that you would need to check that the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensors were working okay.

I've forgotten, but maybe check that the large strip fuses are all okay and not cracked with stress/vibration - I've forgotten what all these fuses cover, certainly ABS and PS but others I've forgotten about.

Reactions: SteJones93

SteJones93

Jan 30, 2017
Can you hear the electric fuel pump priming when the ignition is first turned on, also, can you smell fuel coming out of the exhaust, and finally, take a plug out to check that it is getting wetted with injected fuel.

If it is a fuel pump issue, it might be a fuse or the relay, so check them.

After that you would need to check that the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensors were working okay.

I've forgotten, but maybe check that the large strip fuses are all okay and not cracked with stress/vibration - I've forgotten what all these fuses cover, certainly ABS and PS but others I've forgotten about.

Found the problem, the small timing belt has snapped, What route would you take after this mess? My grandad wants to go down the check pistons and valve route. Any advice? Both mechanically sound so will do jobs ourselves just need pointing in the riggt direction if that makes sense

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that your grandad is right as these engines are interference engines so valves will hit pistons, but I don't know if both the inlet and exhaust valves will hit the pistons - obviously as it is the small belt that has failed only one type of valves will have been stopped closing and opening, I'd be guessing if I knew which valves will have stopped operating, but put it this way, the valves nearest the front of the car are the exhaust valves and so the valves at the rear are inlet valves - but which are directly driven by the crankshaft by the main belt I can't remember off hand.

Good Luck!

A boroscope would tell you it there are any "witness marks" on the piston crowns - and so give you an answer.

Not the best question to ask, but as I advised my daughter to get the belts etc changed on her late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 SC for the second time in its life and at 56K miles now, when last did you change the belts on that car? She had that work done a few days ago at a good local VAG indie.

Edit:- one thing, that engine still sounds healthy, at least not totally knocked as they is still some compressing going on.

Reactions: SteJones93

SteJones93

Jan 30, 2017
That's what we're doing, complete strip down, better safe than sorry. Do you know if it's do able without taking the engine out?

Also belt is not even 12 months old. I fitted it myself and used loctite on all pulleys except one by mistake. Guess which one! The bolt came lose, pully/tensioner moved and the belt got stripped.

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it and thanks for the vote of confidence with the engine sounding OK(ish)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Bother Bother Bother, I have lots and lots of tools but I still have a strange aversion about changing timing belts, and too late in life to change.

Edit:- while talking about valve timing, my wife has an August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL, that engine is 16 valve and has variable inlet valve timing - some early engines ended up having the small bolts that held that pulley together unscrewing - nice! VW listed it as being an issue that could cause engine damage - COULD, more like WOULD if left unattended! I don’t think any cars were recalled by VW UK, there was an importer recall in Oz and NZ, VW UK did end up paying for a few new engines or car changes! I remove the top belt cover once a year to check for signs of oil leaking out.

Edit:- I don’t know how where you are getting your info from for this engine, but the Haynes repair manual for the 6R Polo covers this engine, Haynes manual 5638. It seems to claim that most things can be done without removing the engine, removing piston may be easier with the engine out Haynes says, but you might not need to touch them.

Last edited:

SteJones93

Jan 30, 2017
Timing belts I've done before on vauxhall. Chains I would avoid completely!
Good news on hopefully doing it in situ, I bought an E manual for the seat ibiza online, it's what they use at VW garages. Type in engine code and comes up with Haynes style layout for that engine

Once again, thank you

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.