Car maintenance

Midlife_crisis

Jun 1, 2016
Hi all,
I drive a lc which as far as I know is not modified and would like to service the car but have a few questions. Which oil to use ( brand of oil, semi/ full synthetic and viscosity, car has done 108k) , I have always flushed previous motors when changing oil but have no idea if the engine flush could damage the turbo or other engine components. Which spark plugs to use and if I were to change the air filter for a performance filter which one do I go for. Is eurocarparts ok for parts as I have noticed gsf being mentioned in other threads.
If there is anything that I have forgot or need to look out for please let me know.
Thanks

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
You will get loads of answers on hear mate, I use 5w30c3 Castrol Magnitex fully synthetic, others will use 5w40 fully synthetic, NGK spark plugs I use, exspensive at £45 for 4, don't use engine flush as the pick up pipe will get full of gunk, maybe take the sump of and clean it out, and for filter most of us have induction kits so totally up to you in that one.

Last edited:

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
I used 5w40 Shell Helix in mine, and spark plugs id use NGK as John has mentioned.

If you want to change the air filter, look around and research some panel filters but again, as John said, most of us have induction kits.

If you get any parts from eurocarparts, use discount code 'holiday25'. Only valid until midnight tonight so be quick and order for click and collect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midlife_crisis

Jun 1, 2016
Thanks for the replies, will do some research on the air filter. Any particular reason for going down the induction route other than performance?

andycupra

status subject to change
stick with 5w40. particularly given mileage. semi synthetic is good to for a high mileage LC.

plugs should be platinum tipped as its a turbo car, expensive but good news if they dont need regular replacement.
5 years is fine in a well maintained car thats not treated badly.

engine flush is ok if done regularly from fairly new. the issue with older high mileage is you dont know how much crap will be cleared, which will then potentially clog the oil pick up pipe which is an issue some have seen.
its a sump off job to clean /replace this, if you are handy and prepared to do this then you could flush run a bit, take it easy then sump off and replace the pipe up. otherwise id say either dont do it, or a mild flush./

'Official' VAG/Seat oil is Quantum 5W30 507 spec, fully synth. It's rebranded Castrol Edge apparently
where did you get this info from? no dealer ive interacted with use that

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Just clean the pick up, 10nm on the oil pipe, sump bolts 15nm, when you put sump back on, had tighten the bolts, leave sealent to set for 30/60 min, I left min an hour, then torque All the bolts to 15nm, the side ones in the gearbox are 45nm

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members