car making tapping noises

vwpolog4t

had a problem recently with one of my coils going aa replaced it then had a problem car wouldnt accelarate over 80 would judder engine manegment light would come on flash once i slowed down abit would run fine still havent sorted that out yet but drove it the other day give it abit of boost stopped at traffic lights engine started to tap very loud turned engine off started back up did the same thing sounds like tappets but i have had tappets go before on other cars and they usauly go gradualy anyway took it to a garage and he hasnt got a clue what it could be hes took the bottom end off because he thought it could be the oil pump but says theres no problem with it . any ideas anyone

cheers

dave

vwpolog4t

think its defo the engine it sounds exactly like a tappet has gone but it doesnt start of slow when your idleing and get faster as you change gear stays at the same sort of speed bloke at the garage reckons he looked over the engine and cant see anything wrong.

Saint or Sinner

i would say that it was another ignition coil as once one of them goes they all follw suit, I have changed 10-11 ignition coils in the last 12 months!, Just double check they are all pushed down properly. The best way to test if it is a coil is to run the engine and take one out at a time (replacing each one after removal) if the engine starts to try and stall then the coil is ok if there is no difference when you take off the coil then that one is knackered. They are around £22 each from Euro Car Parts.

lcrb

Aug 4, 2008
lanarkshire
same thing happened to me regarding the acceleration car would judder , turned out it was running on 3 cylinders because of spark plug failure. We changed coil packs but no change so change the plugs and car was fine.I then ran car with plugs got at least 1000miles out it then it happened again. Change your plugs and dont use PULSTAR sparkplugs,absolute shite.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
same thing happened to me regarding the acceleration car would judder , turned out it was running on 3 cylinders because of spark plug failure. We changed coil packs but no change so change the plugs and car was fine.I then ran car with plugs got at least 1000miles out it then it happened again. Change your plugs and dont use PULSTAR sparkplugs,absolute shite.

Totally agree.
Your garage has removed the sump to tell you the oil pump is ok? you cant visually tell that its ok you need to check the oil pressure via a pressure gauge and if they tell you this was done to check for debris in the oil then you can remove the drain plug and droop the oil into a container and check it. Get them to replace the plugs and get the fault memory checked - this will lead you directly to a misfire fault and show you which cylinder is missing.

Or take it back to who ever diagnosed the coil pack and tell them to sort out there mis-diagnosis.

Saint or Sinner

I have not had a pressure test but i'm pretty sure that the oil pump has gone on mine after a flashing red oil light on the dash and engine ticking due to oil not getting round the eninge. Have bought new oil pump, filter, oil, etc.... will be having a go at the weekend. Why couldn't this have happened in the summer as i'm not lokoing forward to doing this in the cold brrrr :cry:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.