Car not starting....

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,
First post here, greetings :wave:

We've had a 2008 Leon FR TDI for about 6 years, it's been a good car and always run as smooth as a nut.
Sold it to my son recently as it's a second car and wasn't getting much use. He's had it about a month and currently it wont start. It's in a garage, the mechanic says there are no error codes, doesn't seem to know what to do to fix it and scratching his head while the car languishes there.
I'm feeling a bit guilty/responsible and want to get it sorted.

So,
It was starting & running beautifully, as per.
Then one day it wouldn't start but was turning over nicely.
After some perseverence it started.
Over the next couple of days it was taking more perserverence until it became apparant it wasn't going to run.

It has never conked out while running.

Something that is ringing alarm bells is that he had it remapped shortly after getting it.

So assuming the mechanic has checked the relays, fuel delivery etc, what's likely to be up with it?
Immobiliser? Problem stemming from the remap? And if so is this a SEAT job?

It's in East Lancs FWIW.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hi. Tricky one... I assume the mechanic would check the obvious... battery... starter motor... glow plugs. Where was the remap done? (eg was it somewhere reputable?). Does it turn over at all now? Does it sound like it's trying to turn over?

Nov 8, 2019
It turns over beautifully. Just won't 'fire'.

I assumed myself from surfing that it was something simple like a relay, as my son said that he noted the glow plug light wasn't illuminating but apparently all that has been checked.

I'd have thought a diesel engine was simple enough, turn it over, squirt fuel in, boom.

Mechanic reckons is a software issue.
It was running fine after the remap, the guy who did it isn't a novice, he's remapped allsorts. But as I say, alarm bells ring. Can a remap knacker a car in this manner?

So i'm thinking worse case scenario, if it needed the software sorting,ECU restoring/replacing whatever, Where would it need taking, what would the cost likely be?

Problem we have is, is that the mechanic is a friend of a friend, so *if* he fixes it, it will be for the right money so there's a reluctance to pull it out of there and get shafted for megabucks. But there comes a point where something needs to give.

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Well, firstly if the glow plug light isn't coming on at all then something is definitely wrong there. In light of that, I'd be reluctant to say it was anything to do with the remap (which would alter the fueling of the car and flash the onboard maps). I realise it's with someone you trust, but if he can't fix the issue then you need to look for a decent independent. I know you said East Lancs... are VAG Manchester too far for you?

Nov 8, 2019
I'm guessing you mean crank
Check the crack sensor
I hope you mean crank! I'll ask if it's been checked.

Someone is coming out tomorrow to check the immobiliser.
We only ever had one key fob, and a SEAT key that looks like...... just a key. Does anyone know if this plain key would this have a transponder in it?

Nov 8, 2019
I went to the car last week and it cracked up the first time I tried, and it's been runnning since but haven't posted bragging about my godlike qualities as didn't want to tempt fate. But the effer conked out again last night, now running again this lunchtime.

The 'professionals' who've looked at it reckon it's an immobiliser fault, next time it doesn't start i've told the lad to go a bit Basil Fawlty on the dash to see if that helps, seems to work for many.

But in the meantime, for what it's worth in money we might as well change the crank sensor as suggested above, but is there any point in that given that there are no error codes?

And should we swap out some relays, if so which/where? What's the one in the fusebox next to the battery?

Looking at things to try before deciding whether to risk a spending spiral, or get shut.

Cheers.

Nov 8, 2019
And should we swap out some relays, if so which/where? What's the one in the fusebox next to the battery?

Whatever it is, swapped it, it's been right since. So if you're having bother that would be a good place to start for under £20 before 'professionals' charge you £100s for recoding keys etc.

Nov 27, 2019
Glow plugs are not used on diesel engines, heating elements are. I have simmilar problem. Mine occurs if I don't drive my car for two days. It turns great but won't start. On diagnostics I have a PCD reley signal intermittent. I've disconnected the battery and sanded the terminlas going from car loom to the fusebox. As I'm informed there's some terminals beneith the intake manifold which can oxidate in time so I'll do them also. I've replaced the reley also and haven't got problems since. I can still feel that is not starting in a blink but hope that will be perfect when I remove the EGR and clean those remaining terminals. If the problem even then persists I would go for the swirl flaps(inspect contamination on the flaps and movement).

Hope this helps
Cheers

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.