Car Security

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
I've been looking at some added security for my Leon. I luckily don't live in a high theft area but you never quite know and I reckon I'm number 3 of the theft list on my street, behind an S5 and an M140i :cop:

Not looking to go OTT with it, maybe just a steering lock and maybe a GPS tracker. I had considered CCTV for my driveway but I think a visual deterrent on the car is as good in making any potential thief think twice (and much cheaper)

Has anyone else got anything of the like they would recommend?

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Disklok or Stoplock Pro Elite. I think the Disklok is better if you don't mind the larger size, but the Stoplock is obviously better if you're going to use it all the time. Most cars these days are stolen with the keys so get a house alarm if you don't have one, and better locks/handles. This is useful against people just wanting to steal stuff out of your house too :p

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Disklok or Stoplock Pro Elite. I think the Disklok is better if you don't mind the larger size, but the Stoplock is obviously better if you're going to use it all the time. Most cars these days are stolen with the keys so get a house alarm if you don't have one, and better locks/handles. This is useful against people just wanting to steal stuff out of your house too :p
I live in a new build so my doors and windows are pretty good in terms in locks. I'm just trying to decide if a visual deterrent like a steering lock would be enough to make someone think twice and go away again as surely no car thief steeling a Leon wants hassle doing it... it's not going to be stolen to order I wouldn't' have thought

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I'm getting the ghost installed after seeing it in use and speaking to a few users. Defo worth it in my opinion. If you have an iPhone, there's an app you can use to enable the car. Android is soon I believe. Don't need to remember the code then :)

I've also got a tracker (just need a few finishing touches on it when @Damo H is free)

I think my view on the security side of it is, let them have the keys, and make sure family are safe. Then do as much as possible to the car to hinder their getaway and track it so the police can deal with them.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
I'm getting the ghost installed after seeing it in use and speaking to a few users. Defo worth it in my opinion. If you have an iPhone, there's an app you can use to enable the car. Android is soon I believe. Don't need to remember the code then :)

I've also got a tracker (just need a few finishing touches on it when @Damo H is free)

I think my view on the security side of it is, let them have the keys, and make sure family are safe. Then do as much as possible to the car to hinder their getaway and track it so the police can deal with them.

Very much with you on that one. My key stays easily visible should someone enter my house uninvited at night, take it and bugger off again. I'm an accountant, I'm not trying to be a superhero :starwars:

Reactions: xyz

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I live in a new build so my doors and windows are pretty good in terms in locks. I'm just trying to decide if a visual deterrent like a steering lock would be enough to make someone think twice and go away again as surely no car thief steeling a Leon wants hassle doing it... it's not going to be stolen to order I wouldn't' have thought

I wouldn't assume that a new build has good locks and handles as they are often relatively basic (to a budget, and all that...). A friend of mine had 2 cars stolen off his drive after some arseholes broke in and took their keys - their house is a few years old. With regard to the steering locks I think they are only of use to relatively opportunistic thieves but as you say I think that will cover the types stealing a Leon. It's not like they couldn't find a Leon, Golf, A3 etc without a steering lock just around the corner.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Disklok. I’ve seen footage of scumbags eyeing up an RS6..........right up until they saw the Disklok. Scumbags want to be in and away without being disturbed or wasting time wrestling with a big chunk of metal. The documentary about car theft the other week showed that bog standard immobilisers just aren’t up to the job, especially where keyless is concerned. An ex scumbag said a big visual deterrent like a Disklok is best. You can get a steering wheel cover off Amazon to protect your steering wheel against the Disklok as well! I bought one and it works a treat!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disklok-86...words=disklok+steering+wheel+protection+cover

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blowski

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Very much with you on that one. My key stays easily visible should someone enter my house uninvited at night, take it and bugger off again. I'm an accountant, I'm not trying to be a superhero :starwars:

I’m the other way inclined - keys are hidden - but then I spent 14 years in the armed forces and have a CQC course under my belt. They can come into my house but once they’re in, my rules..........(without trying to sound arrogant!)

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
I’m the other way inclined - keys are hidden - but then I spent 14 years in the armed forces and have a CQC course under my belt. They can come into my house but once they’re in, my rules..........(without trying to sound arrogant!)

You're better equipped than me. I consider myself a relatively fit mid 30's man but I doubt I can baffle a would be car thief who has just woken me up from a deep sleep with my calculator skills ;)

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015

I'm not sure I could let them take my car (even with the insurance / gap). Taught kickboxing for over a decade. Plus thai boxing, mma, iaido, boxing. As a warning, my room is a shrine of awards, certificates and old training weapons. So they can then choose whether they want to wake me up.

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
I'm not sure I could let them take my car (even with the insurance / gap). Taught kickboxing for over a decade. Plus thai boxing, mma, iaido, boxing. As a warning, my room is a shrine of awards, certificates and old training weapons. So they can then choose whether they want to wake me up.
With the bad luck I've had with my leons id probably chuck them the keys down to it , but my focus st is a different story , id be outside in my boxers and slippers with the rolling pin

leon mk1 cupra

Reactions: Walone and Legojon

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Disklok is the best mechanical device you can buy, I fit every night even though I have alarmed house, security lights, CCTV and my keys come upstairs with me along with the baseball bat. It may only be a Cupra but no scum will be taking my car without a lot of effort.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
It may only be a Cupra.

I think the fact it is a Cupra makes it appealing to the humble joy rider. They can drive around unnoticed if need be and also massively out horsepower and handle the local plod until they crash it into a roundabout and be away on their toes.

Carbonara

Aug 19, 2018
Disklok and/or motorbike chain (pedals to steering wheel) when I can't put it in the garage for any reason. Oh, and we've got a German Shepherd cross arriving tomorrow to keep the older dog company. These are just to stop my son TWOCing it...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise