car smells of petrol but no leaks!!

Dec 28, 2019
Hi folks,
i have a 1.2 tsi ecomotive sport st 2011,recently after timing chain being changed it has started to smell of petrol in the car when driving slow eg: traffic or stuck at lights etc.
After searching this forum for somebody who has had the same problem it appears that the common issue is a leak. However i cant find one anywhere the engine has not flat spots and the MPG has not been affected (the car runs great apart from the smell) what i have found is shown in the pictures.
the pipe that comes from the air fillter has a broken bit at the end and there is a small hole on the back of the engine block about 6inches away. am i on the right track thinking there should be another pipe connecting these if so what do i need to get ??
thanks for any help given.

Attachments

• DSC_0042.JPG
    DSC_0042.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 112

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Hi - we've decided to close this forum, as people are better off posting under the thread for their specific car - is this an Ibiza MK5? If you let me know I can move the thread for you.

ta

Reactions: Mrs b

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes it's a Mk5, if you could move the post that would be great.
Thank you

That is a well known failure of the PCV for the crankcase emissions, there will be a snapped off end still stuck in the rubber gasket/seal in the crankcase cover, that should get removed before fitting a new valve.

Dec 28, 2019
thanks for the info,
am i right in thinking then,that the pipe leaves the air filter goes to the non return valve then a pipe from that goes to a PCV valve and into the engine block? theres no snapped off bit just a hole in the engine block .
Thanks again for your help much appreciated !!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think so, the snapped off part will not be visible as it will have snapped off just inside the outer face of the grommet/seal on the engine top cover.

It seems that not bothering to retrieve the snapped off part of the PCV valve works out okay, if I had one of these engines, I'd always try to retrieve the snapped off section, but not everyone is as fussy as I am.

Dec 28, 2019
Thank you I'd like to do it properly as well! Do you know if the bit left in the block (gromet/seal) is screwed in or push?
Thanks again

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members