Car struggling to start in cold weather

Mike90

Hi all,

around november time, we had snow, and my car sat all weekend, and on the monday when I went to leave for work it was around -2 degrees, and my car (1.2) really struggled to start. It started, hit a 1000Rpm then instantly died. It turned over ok, but i ended up having to slowly pump the accelerator a touch, just to get it to start , then keep it reving at around 2000rpm to stop it from ding.

Then just the other day, it was -3 degrees, and it did the same again. yet it started fine the night before. But then it sat for 9 hours when I was at work and it was -5 degrees, yet it started fine.

I t only struggles to start when its extremely cold. Is this normal, or is there anything I could do.

Thanks

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
maybe your timing chain has jumped a tooth or 2. This is common and very dodgy because it can jump to the point where the pistons can hit the valves and cost you £2k for a new engine

Get the static timing checked and get the timing chain tensioner checked very soon.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I totally agree with getting the static timing checked - maybe also consider getting the modified parts fitted if your Seat garage can not confirm that this work has already been done to your car - they should know when the POE at the engine plant was for this in production upgrade. One other thing, it could just be your engine coolant sensor that is duff - is it a black (old style) or a green (new style) one that is fitted - I might have the colours wrong for the 1.2 engine. Normally these items are dual sensors so seeing the right temperature on the gauge does not mean that the one that the engine ECU uses is correct - you'd need to use something like VCDS to work that out. I don't think that asking for prices and doing nothing is an option if you want to minimise your inconvenience and save replacing your engine (worst case).

Edit, I take it that your car is still "standard" - ie it has not lost its cold air/hot air arrangement.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
ok will get it booked in, any ideas of cost

Just so you know, there is a known fault with the 1.2 engine where the timing chain tensioner fails and the then loose chain jumps. Seat have recognised this fault and brought out a new design tensioner. this tensioner should have been fitted to all cars as and when they go for a service although some may have slipped through the net.

One of the signs of this tensioner failing is a chain jump of 1 or 2 teeth and rough running/sluggish power and poor starting.

As said, if the chain jumps too much it WILL cause a catastrophic engine failure and cost up to £2k to repair.

To be on the safe side go and get it checked at a dealer to see if your car has slipped the net or not, if it has it will be a free repair. If not you will have saved yourself a lot of hassle and money.

It has been known for the new design tensions to fail too so deffo get it checked.

There could be 1001 other reasons for your poor starting but the chain tensioner is so common I WOULD be worried.

As for a price, it's best to ring a dealer and ask but normally you are looking at about £40 per hour if it's not a warranty or free repair of a known fault.

Checking your static timing should only take 10-15 mins,

Good luck mate.

Last edited:

Mike90

Will definitely get it booked in. Car is 'standard' its done 48500 miles. When it went in for its last service at 44000 miles at a private garage they said spark plugs would only last another few thousand mile so could be that. Seems strange how it only struggles to start at -3, any other time it starts no bother

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
if you do a search on the timing chain issue you will find that they seem to fail at about 50k miles. I really hope that yours is Ok but for the cost you really are well advised to look into it if you don't know the history of the car.

Mike90

Had the car booked in to a dealer in aberdeen tomorow, but now there seems to be another problem.

Drove 40 miles to aberdeen this morning, no problems. Went to leave to go home, and thats when the problem started. After changing to second gear the car lost power, and accelerator did nothing. So stopped, And called the AA to tow me to the dealer. The AA man came and took the car for spin, and it worked perfectly. so I took a turn and it was fine (Felt like a right plonker) so drove to a mate in aberdeen, but I only got about 3 miles and it did it again[:@].

So dropped to 2nd gear to get power. Now the ECP light is on. This happened to me about 13 months ago and the accelerator pedal switch needed replaced.

Do you reckon thats the problem?

Will hopefully get it to the garage for its apppointment, but i'm still goin to get them to check the timing chain

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.