Car Tax question

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
Hi all,

I am hopefully going to be picking up my new Leon on the 30th but I have a problem because my current Leon's tax expires on the 30th. I don't particularly want to get a new disc for a couple of days usage also it seems the paperwork I got in the post from the DVLA won't let me do it online.

My family reckon I will be ok as by the time the disc expires I will be driving my new car and the old one will be in the garage under new ownership. I felt though that at 11:59pm on the 30th the DVLA computer would just look at the list of people who haven't declared what they are doing with their car and then send out the fine.

Does anyone know/have any advice? :)

Thanks

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
If you know it's not going to be used, then declare it SORN from the end of the month (Stored off road Notice or similar I think) If you explain to your dealer they should be able to arrange a courtesy car if the delivery time goes over.

soapysoap

I've just picked up a new Leon with a years tax that ends in May2007, Means I've lost 3 weeks tax, guess the same applies if it's a a day or a week
Soapy

darrellr

Apr 2, 2006
monmouth
JK1 said:
Hi all,

I am hopefully going to be picking up my new Leon on the 30th but I have a problem because my current Leon's tax expires on the 30th. I don't particularly want to get a new disc for a couple of days usage also it seems the paperwork I got in the post from the DVLA won't let me do it online.

My family reckon I will be ok as by the time the disc expires I will be driving my new car and the old one will be in the garage under new ownership. I felt though that at 11:59pm on the 30th the DVLA computer would just look at the list of people who haven't declared what they are doing with their car and then send out the fine.

Does anyone know/have any advice? :)

Thanks

If it were me I'd have arranged for the deal to be done on the 1st and asked the Dealer to tax it on the morning (PO still open on Saturday). If not you'll 'lose' a month of Tax. Also I'd send of my old tax disk on the Friday recorded delivery to get the maximum rebate. Then I'd be a very naughty boy and drive to the dealer on Saturday morning untaxed (assuming it was local).

onemark1

Why dont you get the dealer to tax it for 12 mnths + 1 week which they can defo do?

That way you wont lose out on tax..