Car was remapped and now won't start

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
Ok had the car remapped at jabbasport yesterday all successful etc. etc.

Before I left I started the car up and it took a few cranks to start up, I though that its been a hard day on the RR and maybe its just a bit unhappy. Drove it home the 100miles and was fine the whole way.

Tried to start it this morning multiple times and nothing, just turns over without firing up

I have checked the following..

MAFM - fine

All fuses - fine

Fuel pump - does not seem to prime after first click on ignition but is defiantly pumping fuel as I took the line apart in the engine bay and it fires out when trying to turn over.

Spark - Took out the coil pack and put a spark plug in it and turned over. No spark until you try to stop turning it over.

I'm thinking my crank shaft sensor?

Should I remove the Eecu and check for water after yesterday was a wet drive home after having the ecu out at Jabbasport?

Any ideas? :(

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
Have you phoned Jabba mate?

I tried but no answer, going to try Monday and explain the issue.

Car now starts but its so strange. The list of fault codes I got on my mates launcher car reader is insane lol

Its like the ECU is resetting itself, when I unplug it and plug it back in the car starts then won't.

Now the codes are cleared it does start but takes a while. I think it might be the fuel pump as its only 3bar and my car now has a 4 bar fpr.

Ooooor my N249 and N112 resistors are causing problems. Im going to reattached the solenoids and see if thats causing a short.

Will do that tomorrow and call Jabba monday, thing is once its started it runs perfectly! albeit a bit lean.

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
Ok the resistors for the N249 and N112 have now been removed and replaced with the original solenoids. Currently have the battery out the car charging at the moment, once its fully charged will try again.

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
do you have another set of keys?

possibly immobiliser ring fault

I have but it's not coded to the car :( just opens the door.

I had it on a launcher machine and no codes where thrown about anti theft. Once the machine cleared the codes the car would start then after you turn it off it wouldn't until the codes where cleared again or I disconnected the ecu and reconnected.

The car occasionally starts if you give it a small bit of gas.

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
Ok I spoke to Micheal at Jabba this morning and he thinks there is a positive connection issue somewhere.

I have checked all the fuses below the steering coloum and all seem ok. I am going to replace all the fuses in the enigne bay, the 30amp ones, and I also need to check the relays.

The codes that are being thrown relate to a major feed Micheal said as the 02 sensor is also showing a fault to grown.

My question is does anyone know where this major positive connection could be causing the issue?

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
## UPDATE ##

Got home tonight and done the following...

Changed every single blade fuse on the car. (None had blown at all)

Car started up and then wouldn't after I turned it off and tried again.

So I disconnected the battery, reconnected and it started up. Then turned it off and it started up again.

Now here is the weird bit, My mate had his vagcom on the car and for some strange reason it works without the key in the ignition, STRANGE???

We clear the codes, key in ignition and turn one click. The following codes are thrown.

13 Faults Found:
17633 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 1 (N30): Short to Ground
P1225 - 35-00 - -
17635 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1227 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
17636 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1228 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
17634 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 2 (N31): Short to Ground
P1226 - 35-00 - -
17833 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1425 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
17955 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1547 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
18087 - EPC Warning Lamp (K132) Circuit: Open
P1679 - 35-00 - -
17525 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1117 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
18100 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1692 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
17843 - Secondary Air Pump Relay (J299): Short to Ground
P1435 - 35-00 - -
17829 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1421 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
17697 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1289 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
18057 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from ABS Controller
P1649 - 35-00 - -

Then you try to turn the car over, its hesitant to start but does after about 3/4 seconds of gunning it over. We clear the codes and kill the ignition. When back to ignition position 1 the same 13 codes are thrown again even after clearing.

We clear them and do the same and this happens each time.

Anyone have a clue what is going on or does my ECU need to go back to Jabba to be checked over to make sure the chip is soldered on properly, surely VAGCOM shouldn't pick up the reading even when the key is out the ignition?

Oh and by the way when it is started it runs like a dream!

HELP :(

Last edited:
Sounds a bit like what was happening to mine.

To map the car they shouldn't have to take the ECU apart...

What was wrong with mine was condensation in the ECU/bad earth. Take the ECU out and put it in a warm dry place to dry out. Then when putting it back in make sure you get that wire on that earths the ECU.

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
Sounds a bit like what was happening to mine.

To map the car they shouldn't have to take the ECU apart...

What was wrong with mine was condensation in the ECU/bad earth. Take the ECU out and put it in a warm dry place to dry out. Then when putting it back in make sure you get that wire on that earths the ECU.

They defiantly took the ecu out and unsoldered the chip as I think they put it on an emulator and then re-soldered the chip back on? I may be mistaken though, I shall ask.

Where is this wire that will earth the ECU mate???

Cheers for the help thought :)

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
Ok I've taken out the ECU and its in the airing cupboard.

I guess you mean the bracket that the ECU sits on as the earth ibiza125? If that's the case the way the ECU earths through those 3 pressure points on the bracket and then up to the wire. Well my bracket is rusted to f*uk!

I am going to clean it up tomorrow so its nice and shiny again, and also the bottom of the ECU and the grounding point aswell. Then fit it all back and see what happens.

Ill also ring Jabba tomorrow.

Cheers for the help mate, much appreciated :)

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
## Another Update ##

I spoke with Micheal this morning and he is adiment it is a power feed problem. He has said to check the relays under the dash and see what ones are clicking and also check them with a multimeter.

The plan tonight is replace the ecu and check the relays, maybe bridge one by one to see if that sorts the starting issue.

Would anyone know what relay to start at?

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
## Another update ##

I got home yesterday and put the ECU back in the car, started the car up and it worked beautifully!

Started it this morning and it worked first time again :)

When I got to work I decided to check it and now it struggled to start. I have checked the relay 167 and it is rather hot, which surely isn't normal?

I have ordered a new one just incase as reading through other threads this seems to be a major problem.

Also last nigth once everything was back in, on the first click of the ignition the fuel pump primed however now it won't once I got to work. Turning the ignition on while feeling the relay sometimes it click on with the first ignition click and then other times it only switches on when I try to turn it over.

New 167 relay on the way... will update once its fitted.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members