Cars you've embarrassed in your Cupra/FR/Leon

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
unsubscribing from this thread as i really dont know which are taking the piss and which are not.

I think every one has been funny so far.

Some are obviously complete pee pee takes and others are cars that you could probably out drag on a push bike (yet some people seem to be quite impressed with their "victory").

Allied to this, the fact the thread is kind of encouraging racing on the public roads and people have filmed themselves doing so makes me think this thread is one for the scrapyard.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum

Some are obviously complete pee pee takes and others are cars that you could probably out drag on a push bike (yet some people seem to be quite impressed with their "victory").

Allied to this, the fact the thread is kind of encouraging racing on the public roads and people have filmed themselves doing so makes me think this thread is one for the scrapyard.

You are only saying that because we annihilated you in your Evo by getting to the Cat & Fiddle car park way before you..... :D ok I know you will point out minor details like we left home earlier than you and came a totally different route but that's just nit picking tbh.and yes the wind was probably behind us. :p ;)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
You are only saying that because we annihilated you in your Evo by getting to the Cat & Fiddle car park way before you..... :D ok I know you will point out minor details like we left home earlier than you and came a totally different route but that's just nit picking tbh.and yes the wind was probably behind us. :p ;)
Rumbled ;)

Sent from my G3 using Tuppytalk

FamilyGuy

Apr 1, 2015

Agreed. Overtaking in a temporary 30mph limit into a blind oncoming right -turn filter lane. Awesome.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Agreed. Overtaking in a temporary 30mph limit into a blind oncoming right -turn filter lane. Awesome.

The temp 30 signs should actually be removed as the road works finished 2 weeks ago, it's a 60 really. This thread didn't encourage me as the Mazda guy went for it, and it would be rude not to join in, I have the Cupra like my CBF as I like to drive quick and there is no point owning a quick car if you want to drive like a vicar.

FamilyGuy

Apr 1, 2015
The temp 30 signs should actually be removed as the road works finished 2 weeks ago, it's a 60 really. This thread didn't encourage me as the Mazda guy went for it, and it would be rude not to join in, I have the Cupra like my CBF as I like to drive quick and there is no point owning a quick car if you want to drive like a vicar.
As Voltaire once said, "With power comes great responsibility." If someone had been waiting to turn right you'd either be dead or facing jail time. The thread might not have encouraged you, but your video and the 'awesome skills dude' comments that followed it could well have encouraged someone else to do something similarly daft.

Last edited:

Seastormer

Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
As Voltaire once said, "With power comes great responsibility." If someone had been waiting to turn right you'd either be dead or facing jail time. The thread might not have encouraged you, but your video and the 'awesome skills dude' comments that followed it could well have encouraged someone else to do something similarly daft.

Being as you can plainly see no one is waiting to turn right as the road is completely straight at that point there could not be any accident, and the fact the hatched area is not bounded by solid lines means you are allowed to use it, so no penalty either. So everyone who see's something rushes out and copies it do they, I think not, you never broken any motoring laws ever either, that I don't believe, reverent.

ChrisG

Apr 22, 2002
Hants
You can see the first turn right box on your side is clear, no problem there. However, you can't see whether the second one on the crest of the hill for those turning right from the opposite carriageway (at 1:10) is about to be occupied by a car at the point when you start the overtake at ~1:05.

Being as you can plainly see no one is waiting to turn right as the road is completely straight at that point there could not be any accident, and the fact the hatched area is not bounded by solid lines means you are allowed to use it, so no penalty either. So everyone who see's something rushes out and copies it do they, I think not, you never broken any motoring laws ever either, that I don't believe, reverent.

Seastormer

Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
You can see the first turn right box on your side is clear, no problem there. However, you can't see whether the second one on the crest of the hill for those turning right from the opposite carriageway (at 1:10) is about to be occupied by a car at the point when you start the overtake at ~1:05.

What cars in opposite carriageway?, and what crest, it's uphill all the way to the lefthander, sorry if I offend all those saints out there who have never went over 32 in a 30 or 70 on a motorway, but I must be bad then.

ChrisG

Apr 22, 2002
Hants
What cars in opposite carriageway?, and what crest, it's uphill all the way to the lefthander, sorry if I offend all those saints out there who have never went over 32 in a 30 or 70 on a motorway, but I must be bad then.

There weren't any cars luckily but you didn't know that from where you were at this point as any car would be coming from around the curve and behind the car you're about to overtake!

AbncwE5.jpg

It's not straight, the road clearly curves round to the left for a long way before the corner otherwise you'd see the lorry coming in the other direction way earlier, and even if its all technically up hill to that point, its flattening off causing a semi blind crest when you're at the bottom of the hill. If a car had been where the lorry was a couple of seconds earlier and was turning right there is no way on earth you'd have seen it until after you were half way through the overtake.

I'm out :)

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
, but I must be bad then.

Yes. But to be fair maybe the camera isn't giving a true account of your field of view. From the video it looks like you'd have hit anything turning right by the time you'd have been able to see it.

Yes again though as posting up a video for everyone to see of you racing another car on a public road isn't going to be the hottest idea you've ever had.:whistle:

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham

don't worry mate,ive had a good read of this thread and its iintrestingg ood to read,
its ironic really because the car is called the seat leon cupra 280 for a reason....and isn't it the reason for why ppl brought the car for...for the power, or because its got sat nav,and heated seats that's useless anyway personally :blink:
I got my car re mapped today to look good on the drive :D I don't use the power :rolleyes:
good video by the way .

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
don't worry mate,ive had a good read of this thread and its iintrestingg ood to read,
its ironic really because the car is called the seat leon cupra 280 for a reason....and isn't it the reason for why ppl brought the car for...for the power, or because its got sat nav,and heated seats that's useless anyway personally :blink:
I got my car re mapped today to look good on the drive :D I don't use the power :rolleyes:
good video by the way .

:doh:

Seastormer

Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
There weren't any cars luckily but you didn't know that from where you were at this point as any car would be coming from around the curve and behind the car you're about to overtake!

AbncwE5.jpg

It's not straight, the road clearly curves round to the left for a long way before the corner otherwise you'd see the lorry coming in the other direction way earlier, and even if its all technically up hill to that point, its flattening off causing a semi blind crest when you're at the bottom of the hill. If a car had been where the lorry was a couple of seconds earlier and was turning right there is no way on earth you'd have seen it until after you were half way through the overtake.

I'm out :)

Someone else has already said this but I thought I thought I better confirm, that view is from the dash mounted camera and not the actual view I get which shows the entire road to the corner. I have been driving/riding on this road for over 37 years in/on various cars/bikes and never had any accident or near miss, I may not be the best driver in the world but I don't take risky chances.

ChrisG

Apr 22, 2002
Hants
Yup understood it's not quite the view you had and I don't know the road to comment from anything other than the video (is there a Google streetview of it?), but I can't see 18" to the left and a foot higher viewpoint is going to make that much difference, it still looks like the road curves and drops way too much to the left before the left hander to be be able to see all the way to the corner as you claim but we'll leave it there because you won't convince me and I won't convince you. :cheers:

Someone else has already said this but I thought I thought I better confirm, that view is from the dash mounted camera and not the actual view I get which shows the entire road to the corner. I have been driving/riding on this road for over 37 years in/on various cars/bikes and never had any accident or near miss, I may not be the best driver in the world but I don't take risky chances.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise