CC not working, Tried the clutch switch but no luck?

antipesto93

Aug 30, 2014
The cruise control on my pre-facelift 1.4 tsi has never worked since I purchased it from a private seller.

- VCDS says bad clutch switch
- I Changed the clutch switch (Hall sender/sensor in this car, not an actualy switch) http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=4505437&postcount=2

Using VCDS 'check values', It still says clutch depressed = 1 all the time and the error (implausable signal) remains.
Brake switch works fine (both of them)
Buttons on the stalk work fine.

In my mind the only thing remaining is the connection from the wiring loop to the ECU?:confused:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Maybe the magnet has fallen off the master cylinder piston and is just lying there? Hard to tell, as I don't know exactly how the master cylinder is put together and if there is room for the thing to fall off.

For that matter, I don't know if the magnet being present = clutch depressed or not.

What you could try is to take the switch off the master cylinder and see if that causes it to change state. Also try using an external magnet to see if that makes the switch work.

antipesto93

Aug 30, 2014
Maybe the magnet has fallen off the master cylinder piston and is just lying there? Hard to tell, as I don't know exactly how the master cylinder is put together and if there is room for the thing to fall off.

For that matter, I don't know if the magnet being present = clutch depressed or not.

What you could try is to take the switch off the master cylinder and see if that causes it to change state. Also try using an external magnet to see if that makes the switch work.

Tried taking the switch off and waving a fridge magnet over it, but I think i should try something more powerfull, will do that tomorrow :)

I would take of the sensor and short the connections on the end of the wire to check if the value changes, but there are 3 wires and im not sure which two to short without damaging something. Two are red/white twirls and one brown.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Hall sensors don't work like that, unfortunately. The wires will be ground, power and a signal wire. The signal wire will show a voltage when the switch is "on".

Shorting out any two of the wires is not likely to led to a happy conclusion. At best you'd blow a fuse. At worst you'd blow up the ECU or the ABS controller...

A fridge magnet may not work so well, as the sensor expects a single pole, usually South, and fridge magnets may be a sort of horseshoe magnet with both poles present, one in the middle one round the edge. Not sure what to suggest.

Last edited:

antipesto93

Aug 30, 2014
Hall sensors don't work like that, unfortunately. The wires will be ground, power and a signal wire. The signal wire will show a voltage when the switch is "on".

A fridge magnet may not work so well, as the sensor expects a single pole, usually South, and fridge magnets may be a sort of horseshoe magnet with both poles present, one in the middle one round the edge. Not sure what to suggest.

Thanks for the advice!, Will give it a propper try tomorrow :)

tone

Nov 19, 2014
If the switch is the same as the Altea one, it could just be bad contacts.
There's a thread on the Altea forum on this site showing how to clean them.

Google

seatcupra.net altea faulty cruise control mike5

Tony

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.