Central locking, please help!

Aug 3, 2019
Hi all. I'm not sure if I've posted in the right place but bare with me. I'm a women and I'll hands up say I have no clue what I'm doing and Google has been my only friend up to this point.
So I bought a seat Leon ecomotive 1.9TDI 09 plate yesterday. Spent all my money on it and it's the nicest car I've had so I'm not used to its fancy features.
I went back out to it last night and found I couldn't get in to the drivers side with the fob but I can with a key. I also can't get into the driver rear door, so both doors on the same side.
All the other doors lock and unlock with the fob and from the inside too, but the 2 doors that don't open with the fob don't open from the inside with the central lock button.
I've tried what the manual says, to do with the selective locking etc and I've changed the battery in the fob as a last resort.
I've read that it might need parts changing from other peoples posts but their posts don't mention not being able to unlock it from the inside.
I can't get my baby in or out safely which is the main concern right now.
So my question is, is it a case of needing new lock parts or might there be more going on?
I don't have all that much money left to pump into fixing it so I'm wondering whether to take it back and not have it.
The garage I bought it from knocked £200 off the asking price initially and today said he was unaware of these issues,(everything worked as it should when I picked it up apart from at one point I couldn't get into the drivers side and he said don't worry its the dead lock) and because he'd knocked some money off that he will fix it but I'll have to now pay for the full asking price.
I don't know if I trust this guy now though as he said it's not even an issue just to use the key or spray WD40 on it?! He's also said it's alot of paperwork to refund me so won't but I know I am entitled to a refund.
I wouldn't be that arsed about it but I have kids so I don't want to be driving something that I can't get them in and out of easily or quickly in an emergency.
Sorry it's long winded!
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Hi all. I'm not sure if I've posted in the right place but bare with me. I'm a women and I'll hands up say I have no clue what I'm doing and Google has been my only friend up to this point.
So I bought a seat Leon ecomotive 1.9TDI 09 plate yesterday. Spent all my money on it and it's the nicest car I've had so I'm not used to its fancy features.
I went back out to it last night and found I couldn't get in to the drivers side with the fob but I can with a key. I also can't get into the driver rear door, so both doors on the same side.
All the other doors lock and unlock with the fob and from the inside too, but the 2 doors that don't open with the fob don't open from the inside with the central lock button.
I've tried what the manual says, to do with the selective locking etc and I've changed the battery in the fob as a last resort.
I've read that it might need parts changing from other peoples posts but their posts don't mention not being able to unlock it from the inside.
I can't get my baby in or out safely which is the main concern right now.
So my question is, is it a case of needing new lock parts or might there be more going on?
I don't have all that much money left to pump into fixing it so I'm wondering whether to take it back and not have it.
The garage I bought it from knocked £200 off the asking price initially and today said he was unaware of these issues,(everything worked as it should when I picked it up apart from at one point I couldn't get into the drivers side and he said don't worry its the dead lock) and because he'd knocked some money off that he will fix it but I'll have to now pay for the full asking price.
I don't know if I trust this guy now though as he said it's not even an issue just to use the key or spray WD40 on it?! He's also said it's alot of paperwork to refund me so won't but I know I am entitled to a refund.
I wouldn't be that arsed about it but I have kids so I don't want to be driving something that I can't get them in and out of easily or quickly in an emergency.
Sorry it's long winded!
Any help would be appreciated.

There are issues with the locking mechanism on the Mk2 Leon. @Jimbobcook has had the same issue with his car in the past I’m sure. When he reads this thread (and he will as he has been tagged and is also a Forum Mod) he will be able to give you the details on how it can be fixed and approximate cost.

Over to you @Jimbobcook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Greenfingers

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
@Greenfingers welcome to the forum

I've had a similar issue with mine but it doesn't sound the same... Could you confirm the following for me

When inside the car do the doors still open using the door handle once you've unlocked it with the key from the outside, also once unlocked does the door function normally until you lock it again?

If it's the same as mine (had this on 3 of 4 doors) the motor has run out of lubricant so it just dies...

I used this video to fix mine... Not sure yours is the same though, you'll also need a drill and some trim removers... It's a quick job but not ideal if that makes sense lol

Your best bet is to get your car scanned for errors so you know what's going on... Where abouts are you based?

Hope this helps

Aug 3, 2019
@Jimbobcook
Thankyou!

I've come out to it so I can type while I check, sorry if I repeat myself here.
So with the fob I press it and 2 doors open both on the passenger side.
I've got in and I can get out with the handles and fob, and also by pressing the button in between the seats. But that button nor the fob work on the 2 stuck doors to get out.
Boots opening and closing as normal.

I'm in Sheffield.

Aug 3, 2019
The back door opens from the inside with the handle, if I get out and close it I can then open the back door from outside.
My husbands just come home and said the button inside is working as it should, he doesn't find this odd but I do, when you're in the car you can lock all doors with the internal central locking button but not the drivers door.
So sorry if this is confusing.
He's crap with cars aswel.
Hope I've made some sense.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
So you can open the drivers door with the physical key and get in then open the same door from the inside using the handle but as soon as you lock it using the fob both drivers side doors lock and you have to use the key again.

If that's the case that video should help you I think.

Obviously your car maybe different to mine and you may have a dodgy motor which people on here have changed but for me the video above worked, I would try it on the back door first then leave the wd40 overnight to settle then try the fob in the morning as mine took a while to get working. Been working ever since (over a year now).

Either of you handy with a drill and wd40 as it's a fun one haha

Aug 3, 2019
And just to confuse matters, I've just had the back door open with the fob but now it won't open again.
I've locked the car up with the fob and when I have gone to open it with the fob, the light on the central locking thing inside lights up to say locked. It goes off after a minute and then the alarm goes off.
I think my car is confused.

Aug 3, 2019
Yes that's right. I'll try what you've suggested and use the video, I have a feeling though that it's coded up wrong or something, haha, but i don't know anything.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
And just to confuse matters, I've just had the back ddor open with the fob but now it won't. When I unlock the door.
I've locked the car up with the fob and when I have gone to open it with the fob, the light on the central locking thing inside lights up to say locked. It goes off after a minute and then the alarm goes off.
I think my car is confused.
I think you may need to get your car scanned for errors as I didn't have this issue, Sheffield is a little too far for me to travel but we have a forum meet in Doncaster on the 1st September if you could make that I'm sure we could help out with scanning the car for you.

If you press the lock button twice in quick succession I think it dead locks the car and turns off internal sensors that may stop your alarm going off...

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I'm by no means a mechanic I learnt from using the forum like you are, hopefully someone else chimes in with some more useful information.

You may find that the video doesn't do anything apart from lubricate the motor and nothing changes... Also worth noting that you need to be careful when drilling into the casing as if you miss and go too far in you could kill the motor altogether and the door may not lock or unlock lol

Aug 3, 2019
@Jimbobcook
Thanks so much for the offer, I think I know someone with a machine.
With it having a mind of its own I think you might be right re scanning.
If I get to the bottom of it I'll post back.
Thanks again.

Reactions: Jimbobcook

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
If you took i
@Jimbobcook
Thanks so much for the offer, I think I know someone with a machine.
With it having a mind of its own I think you might be right re scanning.
If I get to the bottom of it I'll post back.
Thanks again.
Scanning first maybe a good idea, get a note of the error codes and plonk them in here if there is any.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

Aug 3, 2019
@Jimbobcook
Thankyou!
I've never had a diesel before so I didn't notice this but the husband has just taken it out for a run and he said there's a whistle when you accelerate. Is that normal for a turbo diesel. I am seriously wishing I'd just stuck to my usual vauxhall mum bus.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I've never owned a deisel either so I'm not sure... Does it make a siren noise if yours stationary and you raise the revs to 3k and let it drop to idol? By siren noise it's not massively loud...

Maybe a few diesel people could help out...

@Sharpy @Yellow fr you guys know about the dirty diesel lol could you answer the above about a whistle...

Cheers

Aug 3, 2019
I don't think you can hear it when stationary, it's when you accelerate, more so when switching gears. It's not overly loud, the windows were shut when I test drove it so I didn't hear it until I got on to the roads properly and had the windows open. It sounds kind of like a siren but whistling.
You'd never believe I only bought this yesterday, I really do hope I've not been done lol.
It's got 12 months mot, it has no advisories and I don't know if anything important to do with these things gets picked up on that?
Soon find out when it's scanned I suppose.
Thanks again for your help.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.