central locking problem :(

xxwiggyxx

We bought a P reg 2ltr Alhambra recently but the central locking doesnt work. We bought new batteries for the remote key fob but theres no red light or anything when you press the buttons (is there meant to be??).
Tried using it to unlock the doors but nothing happened. Read online that there is a common problem in the sharan, alhambra and galaxy of the windscreen washer line leaking water under the passenger seat that can affect the central locking cpu and make it do some strange things with the electric windows/central locking etc, so we checked it for signs of damp etc, all seemed nice and dry in there, checked the wires around and to the cpu, all good apart from a bit of corrosion on one of them which was cleaned off by unplugging and plugging back in a few times, checked the fusebox and noticed a fuse was missing so replaced that and then heard a noise like a servo so started to think it would be fine, but after pressing the unlock/lock buttons on the remote key a few times and trying it in the door we realised it wasnt going to work :cry:

BUT... there was a sound of a motor or servo every time the key was turned anti clockwise in the drivers door and when the petrol cap was left open to see what happens with its locking pin you could see the pin slide out but seemed to continue on its cycle returning to its unlocked position! Also, with the fuse in place, we were unable to lock the drivers door so had to take it back out so it could be locked :rolleyes:

So were thinking it could be that the cpu has been wet or very damp in the past and something has gone wrong, or maybe something wrong with the mechanism itself????

Any help here would be appreciated, its a nice car, we all love it but atm its a pain in the :censored: getting the kids to try and help lock the doors every time :help:

(sorry for long post, but best explained as thorough as poss!)

Thanks in advance ;)

90landrover

Jul 1, 2008
Rhondda,S Wales
have you tried re synchronising the key fob after fitting the new battery to it. If you do a thread search for key synchro you should be able to locate how this is done if you are unable to find the thread re post and I will try to locate it for you.

Last edited:

xxwiggyxx

Hi landy, yeah we tried that actually, it tells you how to do it in the manual but it didnt work :(
maybe I did it wrong?
I'll search the threads for it and see.....

xxwiggyxx

Yeh, tried all that stuff mate, any other ideas?

many thanks ;)

xxwiggyxx

got the car booked in to a local seat dealership tomorrow a.m to hook it up to the computer and find out whats wrong, hopefully it will be an easy fix!
Theres no way we are paying the £80 per hour to get the dealership to fix it though ;P its £35 to hook it up so whatever it turns up, we can hopefully sort out ourselves.

xxwiggyxx

Drove all the way to frosts in ferring for the diagnostic booked in this a.m as mentioned above, waited about an hour, only to be told that they couldn't actually do the diagnostic check because there was no communication (between their computer and the car I suppose). I still got charged the £35 fee for taking a look and they said that I should have a look at the wires running from the car into the offside door which they reckoned had been repaired in the past and they could see bare wire here and there. The advice was to repair any bad or dodgy looking connections then put the car back in for another go at a diagnostic when Ive finished this.

Ive just been out and pulled the doorcard off which to me seems a bit pointless because you cant see much of the wiring inside the door let alone fix or repair any of it lol
I could see the main bit they were on about though, on the door pillar it has the wires coming out from some sort of circular plastic holder and you can see that there has been attempts at repairs before like Seat told me and some bare wire here and there which I am going to sort out but I have a question....how can I remove the plastic wire holder bit from the door pillar to access the wiring to repair them??? the holder seems to rotate a certain amount but doesn't seem to pull free from the pillar, I tried carefully wedging a screwdriver behind it and prising it out, but its just snapping little shards of it off :O

any help appreciated!

many thanks

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
in between the door the outside of the connector untwists until it frees off then just pulls apart

the connector part left on the door is held on with a small ring but never removed one sorry :(

see the screw thread on #6

972330.png

Last edited:

xxwiggyxx

now Im confused :S

ha! I worked it out for myself a few mins ago cheers for your reply though ;)
Think I am maybe better off getting a new wiring loom for the door? :S

dunno, the wiring itself seems to be intact, some of the outer plastic around some of the wires is broke but doesn't look like any of the bare wires are touching each other or touching any metal anywhere!

Could it be that the pass side needs looking at too, or is the loom that controls it all only on o/s?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.