Central locking via key not remote

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Had a look at my father in laws car on Sunday as the central locking has stopped working and access is only possible via the boot. A 1998 s reg cordoba

Removed drivers door card and have established that

The internal locking pin thing near then window, locks and unlocks all the car doors
The key will lock the car doors
The key will not,unlock the doors
There is a lot of travel in the key
If I turn the key to unlock and push the mechanism further with a screwdriver the car unlocks (through the removed door card)

Does this mean tha the barrel is gone or that the mechanism is gone?

The lock appears to have a "screwdriver" coming from it going into the white mechanism, I think it much be worn where it enters, but it could be the barrel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Did you get any further in figuring out this problem? Sounds very similar to what's happened to my Ibiza so any pointers would be much appreciated.

His will be the older vacuum system but yours should be electronic, could just be a bad door lock or something. Maybe broken wires where they go from the door to the main chassis.

fionamac4

May 31, 2011
Skye/Glasgow
Cheers Seatmann, I think it's the lock itself that's knackered rather than the wiring but haven't managed to take anything apart yet with this weather. Fingers crossed for a not too difficult fix!

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Well finally got the parts fitted, fixed the problem. The round crown like piece was smashed so the key span but didn't turn the paddle thingy.

Link in the ebay link helped.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2011
Huddersfield
if you read his last reply he's already sorted it. It wasn't the actual barrel, it was 1 of the parts that fits onto the back of the barrel that attach it to the lock mechanism.

I do car keys for a living & with VAG it's rare it's the actual barrel that buggers up, it's usually 1 of the parts that fits between the barrel & the locking mechanism

kog1

Seat Cordoba 1.9 SDI/2001 Electrical diagram

Please if anyone can help me with the wiring diagram for Seat Cordoba 1.9 SDI / 2001. (6K2).
Thank you!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members