Changed my sidelights and DRL on 2012 Leon FR+ to LEDs and no errors :)

Dale_tem

Feb 9, 2012
I just thought I would let people know that I have just changed my sidelights and daytime running lights to LEDs (will compare the colour to my Xenons tonight) and I don't have any errors. Lots of people seem to be having errors, so I thought you would like to know what has worked for me.

The items were all from HIDS-direct on ebay.

I used...

CANBUS 382 (P21W) 27 WHITE SMD LED ERROR FREE BULBS

and

CANBUS 501 (W5W) 8 WHITE SMD LED ERROR FREE BULBS

Nice and bright, I also have some

MTEC 9006 HB4 55w Cosmos Blue HID class xenon gas bulbs ( 220412756904 )

for the foglights, but haven't got round to changing them yet, I've read its rather tricky

All 3 sets came to £42.43 including postage.

Websta

Apr 12, 2011
Good stuff....keep an eye on the mtec bulbs though mate....i bought some gas charged xenon ones for my DRL's....The driver side blew after about 3 days and was smoking etc when i pulled it out....got a replacement set and the same thing happened with the offside so i sent em back and bought LED.

But it might not be such a risk with fogs because they aren't running all of the time!

Last edited:

Dale_tem

Feb 9, 2012
Nope, there have been lots of bad reviews of we-sell-hids so I stayed clear.

I'll get a link to the eBay shop and will take pics of the car and lights

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Dale_tem

Feb 9, 2012
Photos...

Sidelights

sidelight.jpg

Daytime Running Lights

drl.jpg

Xenon

xenon.jpg

As you can see pretty good colour match :)

Noilivil

Fantastic, Dale, thanks.

I get my Leon at the end of the week (DVLA permitting - reg transfer holding things up!) and I am keen to sort the lights out when I get it. I will get these ordered.

Was it tricky at all or simple plug and play?

Dale_tem

Feb 9, 2012
It was pretty simple...

Pull the rubber plug off the back.
Push and twist (bayonet fitting) the daytime running light (larger bulb) and pull out the back of the unit, then twist the bulb out and insert the new bulb.

Pull the sidelight bulb out and then pull the bulb out of the holder and replace with new bulb.

I would test the lights without putting the bulbs back in as the sidelights only work when inserted one way, so if you get an error on the dash, check both sidelights are on.

Then push the sidelight back in

Alight the daytime running light (only goes 1 way, 3 things to line up) and then push in and twist to lock

Put on rubber plug.

Just be careful not to pull the wires off the back of the bulbs, it is a simple push back on, but if you have 1 or more off you may not know which way round they go.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Thanks, i've ordered the sidelight bulbs from them, hopefully they won't give errors! Fed up of returning bulbs that state they are 100% error free when they aren't!

KELHAM

is FRickin' Loving it!!
Sep 5, 2011
Wiltshire
Thanks, i've ordered the sidelight bulbs from them, hopefully they won't give errors! Fed up of returning bulbs that state they are 100% error free when they aren't!

Yep I have the same problem, and the idiots who sell them wonder why we always complain when they ain't 'error free!'

D-Coll

Just wondering if these are the best option to go for to improve the look of the drls. Have they remained error free?

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012

Dale_tem

Feb 9, 2012
Just an update....

I've had 2 errors come up, but switched to sidelights and back to auto and the error stopped. Overall working brilliantly!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Deleted member 74601

I used those sidelights on the my 2010 Leon, and they brought up an error, but if you switched the lights on then off again, the error went away until you next started the car.

I only sent them back because of the colour, I was going to get HID's but decided not to.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I used those sidelights on the my 2010 Leon, and they brought up an error, but if you switched the lights on then off again, the error went away until you next started the car.

I only sent them back because of the colour, I was going to get HID's but decided not to.

I'm using them in my 2010 leon but have never seen an error from them, maybe you have a dodgy set?

Deleted member 74601

I'm using them in my 2010 leon but have never seen an error from them, maybe you have a dodgy set?

Possibly, I sent them back anyway. They didn't look right with the night breakers (what I decided to get instead of going for the HID kit I couldn't afford ;))

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.