Changing Cupra front pads/discs (AP Racing)

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Today I tried drilling it, blow torch, hammering it..broke my punch and a drill bit..Anyone got any more ideas on removing a stuck pin before I buy a new caliper? :cry:

R1dd1ck

Unsure!
Sep 7, 2007
Par
can u send me a pic please?

Point out where it is stuck too! dad is a metal engineer, ill take advice for ya and come back

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Havent got any pics and I've just put it all back together...just a grubby black pin in the caliper which wont move.

Edit: here's a pic of my new ones tho...I'm guessing its welded itself in at the top where the springy bit is but hard to tell which end it is really. -

newcaliperpins.jpg

Last edited:

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Doesn't look bent at all...just stuck...wont budge at all..I'm trying to drill out the end with the collet on but really dont want to damage the caliper. It's so frustrating..this is the most I've ever hated my car :( It's tempting to just sell it on or something

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Im using a propane/butane torch on it for a minute or so...tried both ends but mainly the collet end. not feeling great about doing this but they guy from AP Racing recommended it rather than drilling

R1dd1ck

Unsure!
Sep 7, 2007
Par
all i could say is get something small to wack it at the side of the pin there it is stuck, just to budge it abit as hard as u can like, then try agen!

CupraStoo

Intentionally Left Blank
Dec 28, 2007
RAF Odiham Drives: Much JDMness
id rather heat than drill too

heat the caliper around the pin at the fat end, then bash the other

you may have peened the small end into the caliper now though

get the caliper off is your best bet

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
my next trick would be remove the caliper and try to punch it out whilst held in the vice, failing that use a fly press to press it out

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
If I remove the caliper and pinch the brake line, will I get away without having to bleed the system?

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
I read somewhere its not too easy becasue of the ABS and ESP etc. ie/ you have to use Vag-Com to run the ABS pump and stuff.. I've bled brakes on other cars but they didn't have all the fancy stuff :)

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Ok, providing it doesn't rain tomorrow monring...I'm going with Plan D - going to attempt to cut the pin with the Dremel at both ends where it goes into the caliper then drill out the remaining ends of the pins :confused:

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
I finally did it! cut off the pin at both ends but it took alot more drilling and hammering to remove the final piece. After that, the collet was stuck in the caliper so had to keep tapping it backwards and forwards to release it.

DSC00190.jpg

The stuck piece of pin

DSC00191.jpg

New pins greased up and in (I rememebred to put the anti-rattle bit back in after I took this!)

DSC00192.jpg

The pins

You can't really see in the above pic but the other pin has expanded slightly about 1/3rd the way down which made it difficult to remove aswell. I couldn't even get the bridge bolt sleeves out of the caliper on the other side. It looks like the calipers have just got too hot or something and warped slightly.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.