changing engine internals help

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
i have brougt a engine with bottom end knock so wanting to referb the whole engine before i fit to my car,
was thinking of changing following parts so only have to split engine once,

forged rods
performance valve set
performance valve spring set
APR head bolt kit

got a friend who works for engine referb company who said would hone cylinders an fit valves for me an also would sort out crank bearings if its them that causing the knock,

would it be worth changing the pistons to low compression ones an what sort of gains would you get from this,

i have brought the block which is a bam engine but my engine is a amk been told should fit with no problems,

i am wanting to stretch the powerband to 7000 without chance of damaging anything thats why looking at the performance valves an springs,

have a hybrid k04 turbo but was thinking of also using nos as not wanting to go big turbo at min as i do 350 + miles a week an want to keep my mpg.
am i wasting money in changing the valves and pistons or would you say would be a good imorovment,

thanks for any help

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
If you do change all that it would be a waste just to be running a hybrid turbo as it would be the weak link in your system then.
If your going to do all that you will have a bullet proof engine that will be able to take Big Turbo power levels.
Up to you really

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
the bullet proof engine is what i am after, i use car to comute 350 miles a week at min but thinking of buying a diesel to run up an down motorway an have the lcr as a weekend toy so big turbo is defo an option in the future.
just need to no if should go for these parts or if more worth upgrading.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
TBH the LCR isn't the best bet as a weekend car.
You'd be better off buying something more suited for a start.

To get the best out of a fast LCR, ontop of all the engine mods and bigger turbo, you'll need a big and expensive FMIC, expensive suspension set up,diff and a full exhaust system.

Look at a Subaru for one. Buy a decently powered one, rip out the CAT, fit bigger turbo, job done.

I'm very close to having m car set up for the track and even now I'm still looking at spending thousands to get more power and better handling of said power

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise