Changing Front Suspension Top Struts guide

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
hello all,

i'm going to chnage the top strut mounts on my Leon fr tdi mk 1 this weekend and was wondering if anyone has a step by step guide to this or could poin tme in the direction of one. I've got a pretty good odea how too do it and have spring compressors. Just wondering if there's anything i should be aware of??!!?

Thanks

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
nice one James, thanks!! So am i right in assuming that i won't need spring compressors to remove the suspension struts?? I always thought that you did :confused:

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
right, I've managed to remove the strut from the car but i cannot get the old rubber mount off the top of the strut. i've got an 11 mm socket on the top of the coilover and a ring spanner on the nut that holds the rubber mount on and it WILL NOT budge.

it's starting to round the top of the coilover. anyone have any ideas how to get this nut off as i thought i'd done all the hard work getting the strut off but now can't get the rubber mount off?!?!?!?!

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
i've put the anitseize on it but the problem seems to be the 11mm socket which is actually part of the strut. this is starting to round and i don't think it will take much more stick!! Is there any other way to hold the shaft so that the nut can be removed??

it was all going so well up to this point as well!!!

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
i'm just gonna pop over to my mates house who is a mechanic to see what he thinks!! I'll take the strut with me so hopefully he'll have some wise words as well as you guys.

thanks for thge help so far james it's appreciated!! Speak a bit later

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
All's well, my mate had an impact gun a few squirts with that and off it came!!! I'll put it all back together tomorrow!

Another query, is it possible to get different depth mounting plates as mine sit well proud of the car body once they're installed? I'm wondering if this is part of the reason for the free play picked up in the MOT.

Also, will i have to go and have anythign done regarding alignment or can this be done myself?!?!

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
alignment should be okay if your just doing topmounts mate.

the plate will sit high if the topmounts are worn as they compress more, thus raising the plate, a sure sign topmounts need doing..

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
ok sweet!!

I'll let you know how proud the plate sites tomorrow once it's all back together!!!!!

thanks for all your advice, it has been VERY much appreciated!!

thanks

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
You dont actually need to take the struts off to do the top mount, bit late I know now but they can be done in situ.

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
If you fit spring compressors with the strut on the car, you can get enough squeeze on them to get all the nuts etc off and then slide the top mount bearing and rubber donut off the top. The strut itself will try to contract anyway which helps with getting the bits out ;)

Done mine and Willie's car this way, just remember to undo the ARB droplinks so you can get the full drop on the wishbone :)

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
by the time youve got the compressors on the spring, and faffed hadnt you might aswell take the whole lot out.

only took me 2 hours to do all 4 anyways, thats with axle stands etc.

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Aye very true, it depends on how lucky you are with the compressors behaving themselves! Some days you're at it for what feels like hours to get them on, others its like 2 minutes...

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
having done this now i would imagine that doing it "in situ" would be an absolute ball ache, esp with the coil overs as they don't give you much space between the coils to get the clamps in. It's prob not a bd th8ng either to take everything off and give it a good clean and grease up some of the rusty nuts and bolts. It's really shocking how corroded everythign gets behind there on a car that's only 4 years old!!!

Whilst i'm messing with the suspension, any tips on making the ride a little less harsh?? It's got koni adjustables on it now and to be honest it is a bit harsh at times!!! Will altering the compression on the springs improve things?

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
having got it all back together i have a slight problem in that the steering wheel is now skewed sharply to the right. it's prob about 30 degrees off straight when the wheels are straight?!?!? I don't understand how this could have happened. any ideas for sorting it out without taking everythign back off???

also the top mounts don't seem to sit flush as they are slightly skewed also. is this normal and will they settle once i've done a few miles in it?!?!?

mpgscott

Nov 11, 2009
Inverness/Aberdeen
Any advice on which top mounts you bought? Is it worth swapping the rear ones as well??

Seen some on ebay for front top mount and bearings and for the rear ones i am going to be fitting some new FR shocks and springs on my car and think i should do the mounts at the same time.

Cheers

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
having done this now i would imagine that doing it "in situ" would be an absolute ball ache, esp with the coil overs as they don't give you much space between the coils to get the clamps in. It's prob not a bd th8ng either to take everything off and give it a good clean and grease up some of the rusty nuts and bolts. It's really shocking how corroded everythign gets behind there on a car that's only 4 years old!!!

Whilst i'm messing with the suspension, any tips on making the ride a little less harsh?? It's got koni adjustables on it now and to be honest it is a bit harsh at times!!! Will altering the compression on the springs improve things?

With coil overs you wouldnt need compressors, the coil over unit is seperate to the top mounting. Makes it even easier.

I find it easier to do them in situ thats all.