changing my radio

cookieboy

Nov 19, 2008
stirling
Hi im looking into changing my radio on my leon cupra r 04.. Im just wondering if any1 has done this? And do i need to buy any extra bit to fit into the wire loom...

Cheers

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
Depends on what you are changing it to. Most stereos will go straight in but you will need the facia adaptor plate because the OEM stereo is bigger.

speedinsaxo

Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
There are no bullet connectors on the LCR loom, you will need to either cut and resolder the cable or get a removal tool and take the wires out of the block to swap over.
You will need an adapter plate as aftermarket stereos are not as wide as the Seat unit.

speedinsaxo

Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
The bullets are on the radio loom, not the car loom.

If you get a loom - you don't have to... depends on the radio.
My Becker came with nothng, but everything onnected to the Seat Loom just fine.
I had to alter the Seat Loom as above.

Best thing to do is get a radio first - if is doesnt fit pop to halfords and get a new loom to go between the Seat one and the Radio - this does usually have bullet connectors that you can swap around red and yellow.

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
ok I should of said 95% of stereos come with a loom because they don't use the normal connectors, so for example Sony, Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer all come with bullet connectors on the stereos loom

JamJay

California Bound
Are you sure you know what you are doing, might be better to get a friend who knows to help or pay someone.

This is the 1st time I have ever been told that you physically need to swap wires over and I haven't actually had the Aura unit out yet.

And yes, I know what I am doing, was just clarifying whether or not the car loom needs to be cut...for me, that's a big no no in any case. I am a neat freak though so i'll just as sooner buy an adapter than swap wires. I rewired my 1st car (106 Gti) because some monkey chopped bits here and there, it worked but the messiness of it all played havoc with my OCD :D

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
This is the 1st time I have ever been told that you physically need to swap wires over and I haven't actually had the Aura unit out yet.

And yes, I know what I am doing, was just clarifying whether or not the car loom needs to be cut...for me, that's a big no no in any case. I am a neat freak though so i'll just as sooner buy an adapter than swap wires. I rewired my 1st car (106 Gti) because some monkey chopped bits here and there, it worked but the messiness of it all played havoc with my OCD :D

No probs mate, wasn't having a pop just didn't want you to mess things up if you didn't know what you were doing. Its should be a piece of cake, good luck.

JamJay

California Bound
Lol it's fine, I didn't take it as critisism. Should be an easy job I imagine :)

By the way, any of you with iPod head units (the ones with the iPod direct connection lead coming from the back, not the Aux port at the front with a headphone - headphone jack lead), where have you fed the wire into the cockpit? It was easy on the girlfriends Corsa, the facia adaptor was massive with a little cubby hole in it, simple as drilling a hole at the back of the cubby and feeding the wire through.

Last edited:

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
Lol it's fine, I didn't take it as critisism. Should be an easy job I imagine :)

By the way, any of you with iPod head units (the ones with the iPod direct connection lead coming from the back, not the Aux port at the front with a headphone - headphone jack lead), where have you fed the wire into the cockpit?

Yep, me and its the best stereo i've owned, click on my sig for pics and details!

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
Ah sorry, i have a memory stick plugged into the wire which goes into my glove box, keeps it hidden and out of the way. I've seen people mout them underneath the ashtray.

J0N

Defected!

By the way, any of you with iPod head units (the ones with the iPod direct connection lead coming from the back, not the Aux port at the front with a headphone - headphone jack lead), where have you fed the wire into the cockpit? It was easy on the girlfriends Corsa, the facia adaptor was massive with a little cubby hole in it, simple as drilling a hole at the back of the cubby and feeding the wire through.

792050000139.jpg

Got my 5th Gen iPod Video in the ashtray. Its out of veiw and in one of those silicon cases from eBay it does'nt rattle around.