1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Changing Sidelights Bulbs **GUIDE**

Discussion in 'Mk5 Ibiza FAQ's (6J) 2008-2017' started by VRSLOZ, Aug 21, 2010.

1. VRSLOZ

VRSLOZ Formally SC16v

Right I know when I did this Char asked for a guide so I thought it was about time I got my bum in gear and got it done!

Tools/Parts needed :

Sidelight bulbs x4 (I have a sport model that needs 4)
    Hands
    Tissue or toilet paper
    Cup of tea ;-)

Car used :

10 Plate Ibiza 1.4 SC Sport

Time needed :

About 10 minutes for a first timer

Difficulty :

2/5 - Only because it can be a bit fiddly!

When you first start the sidelights will look like this :

[​IMG]

Nice huh, how cool is the standard look (YUCK!), time to change things!

I'll be using these :

[​IMG]

Step 1 :

Open the bonnet, ok most people know how but it could be the first time you've done it! The bonnet pull is on the passenger side footwell, the bonnet catch is marginally off centre when you ease the bonnet up a touch.

[​IMG]

I'm just going to show you the drivers side, the passenger side is exactly the same. You'll be greated with the below.

[​IMG]

First thing you'll need to do it unclick the bulb covers, these are easy to do, just pull up on the clips. There are 2 covers, first one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the second one

[​IMG]

Lets put these out of harms way!

[​IMG]

You now need to find the side light bulb holder, it is a bit fiddly, it's the highest holder in the cluster of three.

[​IMG]

This is the sidelight holder for the sidelight bulb nearest the wing

[​IMG]

#1 VRSLOZ, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
    LeighPing1 and nightflight like this.
  2. VRSLOZ

VRSLOZ Formally SC16v

Another fiddly part. you will need to put you fingers around the holder for the sidelight, pinch one side, pull and wiggle (the holder not yourself!). This should free the holder so you can just pull it out

[​IMG]

If done correctly you should be greeted by this (note mine are already the aftermarket bulbs as they are already in my car!).

[​IMG]

You will now need to grab your tissue or toilet paper (Classy), put it over the bulb and pull it out. We put the tissue over the bulb so it doesn't wreck it. Once out place the old bulb somewhere safe as you may need it one day. Grab a new bulb from the pack (with tissue remember!) and just push back into the holder. MAKE SURE AFTER YOU HAVE PUT THE NEW BULB IN THAT YOU TEST IT WORKS, IF IT DOESN'T TAKE THE BULB OUT AND TURN IT 180 DEGREES AND RE INSERT AS IT WILL HAVE BEEN IN THE WRONG WAY ROUND.

[​IMG]

Now all you need to do is push the holder back into place and hey presto "We're Halfway There!!"

Next you need to take out the holder nearest the grille

[​IMG]

This one is a bit more simple, you can just pull this one out, you should be greeted with.

[​IMG]

Repeat the step where you take out the bulb and put it back in as above. You will then need to just push this holder back into place.

[​IMG]

Grab those pesky covers again, line up the inserts at the bottom and push the clips down to secure them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once all put back together, turn on your sidelights and you should have something like this

[​IMG]

Stand back for a moment, pat yourself on the back and admire your handy work!

#2 VRSLOZ, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
    LeighPing1 likes this.
  3. TTX

TTX 1.2TSI SE 5DR in Tribu

Great guide, will have to do this to mine when it arrives. What's the part number for the LEDs?

4. VRSLOZ

VRSLOZ Formally SC16v

5. char_baby

char_baby Charlotte :)

Thank you for that guide! :))

6. hodson

hodson Active Member

Do these bulbs bring up an error message on the dash?
    And are they bright?

7. VRSLOZ

VRSLOZ Formally SC16v

Error message is bought up by these.

Picture of bulbs in car park :

[​IMG]

Will try and get a better one at night

8. wigz45

wigz45 Mk5 Cupra!

fitted mine today and $%?! me what a arse on it was! getting your hand in and trying to get hold of them took me a good half hour! looks great tho and compliments the HID's i fitted. shame the numberplate lights didnt fit :( have to send them back!

9. VRSLOZ

VRSLOZ Formally SC16v

Lol next time it will take no time at all

10. R22 JGB

R22 JGB SEAT Leon FR184 DSG

What was it like to fit your HID bulbs?
    Had them in the dip beam of my 06 Passat, it was a right basket to fit the bulbs into the reflectors as the access hole was small and the screen wash bottle in the way.
    Dip beam was great with them!
    I propose to fit the H7 units from the Passat into the main beam and buy a new kit for the dip beam for my Ibiza which I hope to collect later this week.

11. WJs

WJs MeepMeep

Is there anyway to reset that error message yourself? I fitted canbus led's. But when i tried them i had one put in wrong. So that didnt work, changed it and all is fine. But the dashboard registered one of the lamps didnt work...so now its giving the error.

Do i have to go to the dealer to reset that? or is there some "check again"/ reset option?

12. VRSLOZ

VRSLOZ Formally SC16v

I'd take a guess you could reset yourself with Vagcom but not too sure if it will flash back up.

Does the warning light bother you that much? I don't like having mine on but I will put up with it for the lights as I know it will be off when I put the standards back in

13. skeat12

I can't find the post, but i'm sure techie has posted how to do it somewhere.

14. WJs

WJs MeepMeep

Ill try to find it. thanks

@SC16v, well its not the end of the world. But the car is one week old, and having this yellow "warning" light thingie, just annoys me a little. :)

15. VRSLOZ

VRSLOZ Formally SC16v

I know what you mean mate, I thought the same but having the lights means more to me :p

16. Veyron

Veyron Active Member

Resistors should solve the warning light problems :)

17. CHRIIS

CHRIIS Senior Member

I've just fitted canbus LEDs and the warning light has poped up. I'm gunna the dealership on Wednesday should they be able to fix it?

18. R22 JGB

R22 JGB SEAT Leon FR184 DSG

All these tales of the bulb warning light coming on when you fit led sidelights. Does the bulb failure light go off again if you re fit the standard bulb?

I had HID's in the dipped beam of my 06 Passat, every now & then when I switched to main beam, one of the dipped beams would flicker then go off always the off side light. The bulb failure light would come on. When I switched off the lights for a few seconds all was restored, both headlights working and no failure light:D..........until the next time the offside light flickered[:@]

Just fitted the kit I had in my Passat into the main beam of the Ibiza and upto now no problems. I intend to buy a new canbus compatible H7R hid kit to fit into the dipped beams.

#18 R22 JGB, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  19. VRSLOZ

VRSLOZ Formally SC16v

20. TTX

TTX 1.2TSI SE 5DR in Tribu

I take it your LEDs are the flat circuit board type - could you post some photos of each side of the board, please?