Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Changing wheels, affect speedo?

Discussion in 'Ibiza Mk4 (2002-2008)' started by JonSportPD100, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Pretty much as above, i have 16's on at the minute as standard and looking to change to 17's i have heard though that this can then lead to the speedo not being completely accurate? Is that true?
    Cheers

2. Lippo

Lippo YNWA

Yes. It will read slower. It'll probably be more accurate though, as speedo's are allowed by law to read up to 10% over, but are not allowed to read under. In practice, they do read 5% over or thereabouts, and that is the difference your 17's will make.

Also if you put 225/40/17's on instead of 205/40/17's then your speedo will under-read further.

3. ah right, thanks. 17's it is then :)

4. Lippo

Lippo YNWA

One side effect is a reduction in fuel economy and possibly a worse ride....

5. bald_eagle

bald_eagle yeah its blue but i like

as lippo said,i changed to 17s with 205/40/17 tyres from 205/45/16s and my speedo is just about spot on now maybe reading 1mph slow at most.

ride will be harsher with the 40s not that ive noticed as its rock hard anyway!, not sure about fuel consumption being different though as the rolling circumference is about the same what with the bigger wheels but thinner tyres.

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Active Member

Running on 215/35 18s my speedo is 3mph ut at 60mph. Ride isnt 'too' much worse. MPG is actually better on the motorway but about 4mpg down around the doors. You pays your money...........

7. Wash It!

Wash It! Active Member

8. rahul

rahul Active Member

9. Lippo

Lippo YNWA

I think the mpg gets worse due to the combined weight of the new, larger wheel and the tyre. This unsprung weight can have an adverse effect. I lost around 5mpg when I put VRS alloys on. I did use cheapo tyres so they may have caused extra drag as well.

The 17" wheel/tyre combo felt much heavier than the 16"s. If you use 215 then they have aarger surface area that creates drag.

10. GlanzaV

GlanzaV I start fires!

They aren't :D This is my Brothers website and Tyre calculator - He based the Alloys on Momo Arrows that he had on his S13 years ago.

The calculator is pretty handy though!

11. Lippo

Lippo YNWA

Good website and calc. I used it when getting my 17"s :thumbup:

12. Wash It!

Wash It! Active Member

Credit to your brother, it's the slickest calculator of it's type I've seen. Some are horribly confusing or require an enormous amount of data.

13. GlanzaV

GlanzaV I start fires!

Yeah, it's been up for ages, feel free to click a couple of the ad links :D It pays for his hosting!

He's been coding an Offset calculator (ET) for a while

He was also thinking about a stretch calculator too... but wasn't sure as he doesn't want to be responsible for tyres pinging off cars and people killing themselves after putting 165's on 9J wheels :D

14. Wash It!

Wash It! Active Member

Haha, a disclaimer on the website front page will cover any legal troubles. Moral ones, however, are a little harder to ignore!