Cheap HID's

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
It *should* do, as it will be able to draw a constant power from the battery, so no dips or spikes in it's power supply. The trouble is though, nobody will be able to guarantee 100% that it's going to work, so it's a chance you'll have to take I'm afraid.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
You wont have any problem selling them on, especially with the extra wiring you're buying. I know Ibiza owners have a similar problem that this wiring cures, so you should have plenty of buyers :)

In fact, if it's a H1 fitment, I might be tempted myself for the Mrs' car :)

mydepots

talked with several of my "professional" customers and browsed through several forums. It seems that the relay harness is the cure.

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
I was asking earlier about leds (back in feb, page 5) i ordered clicky here and have to say, over standard bulbs they are excellent, for sidelights they are very visible and run cool. Ive ordered several leds from this fella before and postage is always bang on a week which is pretty good from HK.
Ill get some pics up later.

Last edited:

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
A few quickies, Ive had my hids in for almost a year now, I thought i'd take some pics for comparison for the led sidelights.
This pic was a little over exposed (1/4 f2.8 iso100)

PICT6371Small.jpg

full beam/fog/hid and sidelights all on, the hids are such an improvement, the full beams are phillips vision plus, look how orangey they look in comparison. taken with a shorter exposure, (1/100 f8.0 iso 100)
PICT6377Small.jpg

and a very short exposure comparing full beam vs the led sidelight (1/1000 f8 iso 100)
PICT6378Small.jpg

Focal length: 17.3mm (35mm equivalent: 106mm)
Exposure time: 0.0010 s (1/1000)
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO equiv.: 100

mydepots

Does the harness come with resistors also.

No.

Resistor is for cars with ECU that would detect the change in power draw of the bulbs (from 50W for halogen, to 35W for HID). For example, the BMW kit in my online store solves this problem on BMWs by adding a resistor and filter to it.

While relay harness is used because the ballast cannot get enough power from the original harness, so a direct connection to the battery is needed.

TDI PEP

LEON MKII FR TDi
Apr 22, 2002
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Visit site
No.

Resistor is for cars with ECU that would detect the change in power draw of the bulbs (from 50W for halogen, to 35W for HID). For example, the BMW kit in my online store solves this problem on BMWs by adding a resistor and filter to it.

While relay harness is used because the ballast cannot get enough power from the original harness, so a direct connection to the battery is needed.

It seems then that it is the resistors I need as my problem is that my ECU is detecting the drop in wattage which makes the HID's flicker once engine is running.
The HID's are fine if turned on without having the engine running which then makes the ECU think I have a fault with my lights.
Do you supply the resistors/fitting kit to solve this on my SEAT Leon my06 and what is cost for shipping to uk.

mydepots

It seems then that it is the resistors I need as my problem is that my ECU is detecting the drop in wattage which makes the HID's flicker once engine is running.
The HID's are fine if turned on without having the engine running which then makes the ECU think I have a fault with my lights.
Do you supply the resistors/fitting kit to solve this on my SEAT Leon my06 and what is cost for shipping to uk.

We don't have separate resistors for sale. The resistor/filter is built-in to the ballasts for BMW.

But i still think you should try the relay harness first. A guy in UK bought our BMW kit for his 2005 volvo, and it also flickers and then shuts down. Another HID seller on the volvospeed forum told me that for newer volvos, the resistor will do nothing good. And Relay harness is the only way to solve the problem. So, even with the resistor, you'll still need a relay harness, so why don't you give it a try first?

btw, do you get "check bulb" error message?

Last edited by a moderator:

TDI PEP

LEON MKII FR TDi
Apr 22, 2002
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Visit site
We don't have separate resistors for sale. The resistor/filter is built-in to the ballasts for BMW.

But i still think you should try the relay harness first. A guy in UK bought our BMW kit for his 2005 volvo, and it also flickers and then shuts down. Another HID seller on the volvospeed forum told me that for newer volvos, the resistor will do nothing good. And Relay harness is the only way to solve the problem. So, even with the resistor, you'll still need a relay harness, so why don't you give it a try first?

btw, do you get "check bulb" error message?

Thanks for the reply. I dont get "check bulb" error message or any dash lights.
I will order the harness now through your website see if that fixes it (crosses fingers)

TDI PEP

LEON MKII FR TDi
Apr 22, 2002
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Visit site
Order placed for relay harness, will keep you updated if this solves the flickering.
I am sure if any other mkII Leon owners are considering purchasing the HID kit are waiting for this first to be resolved.

Thanks Pep

mydepots

Thanks for the reply. I dont get "check bulb" error message or any dash lights.
I will order the harness now through your website see if that fixes it (crosses fingers)

If there is no check bulb error, it means that the ECU did not detect that the bulb is differerent. But anyway, who knows what the ECU would detect :p

It's great to have a new order, but can't you just take your car to a local shop and let them test it using a relay harness first, so that you won't need to cross fingers :)

TDI PEP

LEON MKII FR TDi
Apr 22, 2002
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Visit site
If there is no check bulb error, it means that the ECU did not detect that the bulb is differerent. But anyway, who knows what the ECU would detect :p

It's great to have a new order, but can't you just take your car to a local shop and let them test it using a relay harness first, so that you won't need to cross fingers :)

Its ok the cost of the harness is minimal compared to what a technician may charge to check.
I can always sell the kit on if it doesnt cure the flickering.

Thanks anyway for your suggestions and help.

Arnolfini

Muppet
Nov 23, 2006
The Gates of Hell (Croydon)
Finally got my car cleaned today, so I thought I'd take some pics of the Mydepots HIDs in action:

6000k H7s in the dipped beams:

Photo-0075.jpg

6000k H1 kit in the full beams (2 kits from mydepots still costs considerably less than one kit from most places in the UK):

Photo-0076.jpg

Admittedly the full beams take about 5-10 seconds to warm up... but once they're going the difference is astonishing. It's like having football pitch floodlights attached to the front of the car!

Obviously you have to be quick when dipping them for oncoming traffic though...

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.