Cheap HID's

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
Cheers RobM for the help :) got mine fitted and looks awesome! their online MSN Messenger support is very good as well.

Also for those who hate the yellow sidelights...on ebay buy the LED ones in ICE blue they look the nutts :)

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Good stuff! My next challenge is to fit some to the Mrs' Puma at some point, which could be interesting as the entire headlight needs to be removed

kez

Jan 29, 2007
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
i had a look at fitting mine yesterday, but couldn't even get the original bulbs out. similarly, how do you remove the sidelight bulb? :shrug:

i even have elsawin, so i know how easy it's meant to be :(

how much hassle is it to remove the whole headlight? bumper off job?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
The original bulbs are held in with clips. There is a picture of the clips in the HID guide at the top of the forum. You have to push them into the light and to one side and they spring lose.

The sidelights are simple, but can be tricky. There isn't much room to get a grip on them so it's often easier to get some needle nosed pliers on them and pull them out that way. There are no clips holding them in place, they just pull out.

You shouldn't need to remove the headlight to do this, it's just a case of knowing how it all goes together.

A little tip for you... if you're struggling to get the clips off or on again, a small mirror carefully placed can help loads. It lets you see what you're moving and what you should be doing :)

mydepots

Finally got my car cleaned today, so I thought I'd take some pics of the Mydepots HIDs in action:

6000k H7s in the dipped beams:

6000k H1 kit in the full beams (2 kits from mydepots still costs considerably less than one kit from most places in the UK):

Admittedly the full beams take about 5-10 seconds to warm up... but once they're going the difference is astonishing. It's like having football pitch floodlights attached to the front of the car!

Obviously you have to be quick when dipping them for oncoming traffic though...

Just want to let you know that with HID in hi beam, you should not "flash" your hi beam as you would usually do with halogen hi. Constant on/off will shorten the life of the kits and the 5-10 secs warm up has made the "flash" function of the hi beam impractical.

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
The colour of the light.

4300k is stock OEM xenon
6000k is the bluish but usually white in the photos (such as my sig)
8500k is very blue and will get you pulled
12000k is purple and useless!

Anything above 6000k is pointless as the light is not as high in lumens. 4300k is best for range but 6000k is best for look!

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
The other thing to consider, is anything above 6000k is so blue that the Police wont be impressed at all.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Yeah... but I'm fairly certain that levelling the headlights while driving is tricky if you're under the bonnet with a spanner set :lol:

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
Yeah... but I'm fairly certain that levelling the headlights while driving is tricky if you're under the bonnet with a spanner set :lol:

Got it all wrong...i've trained my 16month old son to crawl out the passenger window, and then make his way across the bonnet...he then sits on the front bumper until I release the bonnet, opens it, and does the do with the lights...have yet to perfect the bonnet shutting, but all good up to that point :whistle:

Waits for call from Childline [B)]

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
Got it all wrong...i've trained my 16month old son to crawl out the passenger window, and then make his way across the bonnet...he then sits on the front bumper until I release the bonnet, opens it, and does the do with the lights...have yet to perfect the bonnet shutting, but all good up to that point :whistle:

:cartman: *wipes tear away*

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton

After reading that I just have this image of the bonnet lifting up fairly sharply at speed and your child landing on somebody elses bonnet a few cars back :lol:

Wrong.. so, so very wrong :lol:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.