Cheap N75 mod for everybody

Sim

who?
May 24, 2001
Budapest, Hungary
www.ignitron.net
Originally posted by Mosser
i will start with a 1.5mm hole as my turbo isnt capable of creating more than 24psi anyway (I've tested it with N75 bypassed!!)

:eek: :eek: You ain't kindding! Fasten your seatbelts then!!! :eek: :eek:

Do you already know where could you source a new turbo from? ;)

Sim

who?
May 24, 2001
Budapest, Hungary
www.ignitron.net
Originally posted by Mosser
the restriction in my N75 is 1.65MM, do i need to add a restrictor to this same side of the N75?, or should it be in the inlet to the valve?

So i suppose you have found the restriction by now then. It is best seen on pic3 however.

I have checked mine "C" version. I don't have any tool which i could use to do a correct measurement, so i put my 1.5mm drill bit inside, which fit it and the gap which left could be roughly 0.15mm, so the restriction on C & F valves should be the same.

You also should go for the 1.5mm i think. The restrictor should be put before the same line you have found the restriction in.

Here's a pic:

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
Just for the hell of it I have got hold of the required tools and equipment and made one of these this afternoon.

My car is not chipped it is standard so I am willing to give it a go to see what happens! :)

Drilled by hand which is not to difficult with a steady hand and decent drill and bits (I have a drill stand but no drill to fit it!)

I will see what happens ... back in a mo!

Mosser

The King
I've done it and tested it!!, i set it so that it had a significantly higher resistance to blowing through it compared to the N75 restriction (i would estimate it to be around 1.5mm restriction) and it hasent made any difference really!, still surges, but the ititial boost spike it biger than it used to be but sinks back quickly to what it used to be before,

I will play around with it tomorrow morning as i've got to visit the inlaws with wife in the car and she doesnt like me flooring it and then stopping to fiddle around under the bonnet!!

Sim

who?
May 24, 2001
Budapest, Hungary
www.ignitron.net
Hmm, then it must be the valve itself which surges :mad:. I got a C one and it doesn't surge for me luckily.

As for the higher initial boost; this is what exactly the restriction is meant to be. A lil' tuning for the low revs ;). The more the N75 will be restricted, the longer the initiall pull will be sustained.

When i had a 1.2mm restriction, the turbo boosted up till 4000 RPM like mad, BUT. And here comes a big BUT!!! Since it was way too restricted, the actual boost exceeded required boost a lot more than ECU would tolerate (like with 1.5mm for example), and ECU closed the N75 valve immediately causing a huge flat spot. Once ECU regained control over N75 again (at higher revs) everything was fine.

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
Sorry about the delay, had to take the missus out.

Ok Fitted and installed with no ptoblem at all, took it for a run and its seems to run fine. Not sure if I can tell the difference at the mo. Temp is quite warm and muggy so probably not best conditions ??? What sort of difference should it make ?? Would a smaller hole be worth trying.

The missus is using my car tomorrow so will have to wait until the afternoon to see if I notice a differnce ... then again I'm bound too I have to drive her car until then (not that there is anything wrong with her car ;) in case she reads this!)

I have left the old pipe in place at the mo so I can switch back in a matter os seconds if needed.

I can make another one or two if anyone wants to try it.

Cost me about £7 in total.

I have a picture for you to check which I willl post tomorrow as I'm off out now to get pissed as I dont have my car!

Mosser

The King
i've fiddled around with the restrictor valve all the way down to no flow and none of the settings seem to give me more power or cure the surging i'm getting,

Others should get different results though because of the 1.3bar chip i'm running it isnt possible to push the turbo much harder than i do!

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
Drove the car to work this morning (14oC) and I must say it did seem to pull a little better.

It definately hasn't altered the car for the worse anyway.

I will run it for a couple of days like this and then out the straight through pipe back on to see if I notice the difference then.

I may also try one with a slightly smaller hole.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.