Chip or remap - mobile?

Jan 24, 2011
Hi all,

I'm potentially picking up an Exeo 143 diesel on Saturday and would like to get it remapped.

I've not found many posts on it so far. Custom code remaps seem the best bet but it's too far for me to travel. Are there any chips that equal the quality of a remap? Or alternatively, are there any mobile remaps which are worth getting?

I'm in Witney, west Oxfordshire, not many tuning places near me :(

Cheers

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm potentially picking up an Exeo 143 diesel on Saturday and would like to get it remapped.

I've not found many posts on it so far. Custom code remaps seem the best bet but it's too far for me to travel. Are there any chips that equal the quality of a remap? Or alternatively, are there any mobile remaps which are worth getting?

I'm in Witney, west Oxfordshire, not many tuning places near me :(

Cheers

Angel Tuning are in Oxfordshire and they seem to get a good write up on a lot of forums for various marques.
I'd be seriously thinking of using them myself, if I didnt happen to live a stones throw from AMD tuning who are well thought of in the VAG forums.

Reactions: tom0311
Jan 24, 2011
Angel Tuning are in Oxfordshire and they seem to get a good write up on a lot of forums for various marques.
I'd be seriously thinking of using them myself, if I didnt happen to live a stones throw from AMD tuning who are well thought of in the VAG forums.

Oh, nice one! I had forgotten about them!

Yeah I had AMD remap my Mk1 Leon Cupra R a few years ago, awesome map. They don't do the Exeo :(

** EDIT **

Angel tuning don't list the 143, only the 120 and 170 but I'm sure that's just an error. I think I'll go there, thanks for pointing that out to me :clap:

Last edited:

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
Be sure to let us know how you get on - I'm hankering to remap my 170 as right now it's only slightly quicker than my unmapped PD150 Golf.
(But a lot quieter, more comfortable, spacious.... ;) )

Jan 24, 2011
Be sure to let us know how you get on - I'm hankering to remap my 170 as right now it's only slightly quicker than my unmapped PD150 Golf.
(But a lot quieter, more comfortable, spacious.... ;) )

I keep looking at 170's, but the specs and mileage available for my budget just don't match what I could get on a 143. I reckon with a panel filter and a remap it'll be enough :)

So how is the Exeo for you? Good car? I am still yet to hear anything to put me off.

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
So how is the Exeo for you? Good car? I am still yet to hear anything to put me off.
Well, niggles so far are :
Retractable load bay cover squeaks and rattles like mad.
Steering is a bit tramliney - possibly torque steer, possibly due to the wide tyres compared to the Golf.
Stock radio recognises my MP3 CDs and USB sticks but navigation isnt very intuative.
No option to replace the drivers grab handle with a sunglass holder like on the Golf!

Other than that being an estate car I suddenly have the overwhelming desire to fill every cubbyhole with junk! :D

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Just to clarify:

Chipping is an old form of ecu manipulation that's no longer relevant unless your car is from before 2000. A blank or usually pre programmed EEPROM would be placed on the board either in place of or instead of an existing EEPROM to alter or replace the Ecus programming.

Most people now opt for either a tuning box or a remap.

The box tends to manipulate what readings the ecu sees in order to increase power, torque etc. most people regard them as poor but they have come on leaps and bounds over the last few years.

A map re-writes the ecu software, changing parameters in order to achieve higher power and torque. A remap is usually more highly regarded than a box.

You also have to bare in mind that most 2010+ cars have a locked ecu that will require special equipment and expertise in order to flash them.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Well, niggles so far are :
Retractable load bay cover squeaks and rattles like mad.
Steering is a bit tramliney - possibly torque steer, possibly due to the wide tyres compared to the Golf.
Stock radio recognises my MP3 CDs and USB sticks but navigation isnt very intuative.
No option to replace the drivers grab handle with a sunglass holder like on the Golf!

Other than that being an estate car I suddenly have the overwhelming desire to fill every cubbyhole with junk! :D
Sounds like a breath of fresh air having driven 2 alfas :) love them but everything that could possibly rattle, rattles.

Jan 24, 2011
Just to clarify:

Chipping is an old form of ecu manipulation that's no longer relevant unless your car is from before 2000. A blank or usually pre programmed EEPROM would be placed on the board either in place of or instead of an existing EEPROM to alter or replace the Ecus programming.

Most people now opt for either a tuning box or a remap.

The box tends to manipulate what readings the ecu sees in order to increase power, torque etc. most people regard them as poor but they have come on leaps and bounds over the last few years.

A map re-writes the ecu software, changing parameters in order to achieve higher power and torque. A remap is usually more highly regarded than a box.

You also have to bare in mind that most 2010+ cars have a locked ecu that will require special equipment and expertise in order to flash them.
I should get in touch with angel tuning and make sure they can do it I guess. I'd definitely prefer to get a remap. Cheers.

uknowthat

Apr 3, 2014
Ive just purchased a Bluefin for my TDI 143 Exeo. what a difference it has made.
Superchips figures are a increase of 33 bhp and 61 nm.
You plugthe Bluefin device into your OBD port download yor current map, connect to pc and install software upload to superchips and 3 hours later they sent my custom map.
again connect to pc download map then connect to car again
Thepower is there on tap all the way to the redline. a friend of mine as a TDI 170 audi a3 and from a set of lights I was quicker all the way up the legal speed limit lol.
on the motor 6th gear which I hated is vastly improved pulls all the way from 50mph

Jan 24, 2011
Ive just purchased a Bluefin for my TDI 143 Exeo. what a difference it has made.
Superchips figures are a increase of 33 bhp and 61 nm.
You plugthe Bluefin device into your OBD port download yor current map, connect to pc and install software upload to superchips and 3 hours later they sent my custom map.
again connect to pc download map then connect to car again
Thepower is there on tap all the way to the redline. a friend of mine as a TDI 170 audi a3 and from a set of lights I was quicker all the way up the legal speed limit lol.
on the motor 6th gear which I hated is vastly improved pulls all the way from 50mph

Interesting. I've seen comments such as 'wouldnt touch one with a barge pole' in bluefin discussions. Then again I've seen good reviews like yours as well. Those numbers aren't as good as some remaps, but I guess it is easier/cheaper.

Is your mpg any better?

uknowthat

Apr 3, 2014
I couldn't tell you if the mpg has increased as I've been a bit lead footed since I've remapped it lol.

I think the figures quoted by superchips are modest as the TDI 140 from reading up on superchips site produce more power on a rolling road they have a graph from a standard TDI140 that produced 157 BHP after being mapped produced 187BHP.

so far ive had a straight line test against a audi tdi 170 and a new bmw 320d which is 181bhp.
I was quicker then both very marginal against the bmw.

the biggest thing for me is once the turbo has spooled the power is constant all the way to the redline in every gear and very addictive lol

Jan 24, 2011
I couldn't tell you if the mpg has increased as I've been a bit lead footed since I've remapped it lol.

I think the figures quoted by superchips are modest as the TDI 140 from reading up on superchips site produce more power on a rolling road they have a graph from a standard TDI140 that produced 157 BHP after being mapped produced 187BHP.

so far ive had a straight line test against a audi tdi 170 and a new bmw 320d which is 181bhp.
I was quicker then both very marginal against the bmw.

the biggest thing for me is once the turbo has spooled the power is constant all the way to the redline in every gear and very addictive lol

Fair enough. I'm sure they're decent enough. I've just seen the price tag though, why not just get a remap for that money? Was it a location thing?

uknowthat

Apr 3, 2014
only reason I have a extended warranty so if I need warranty work done I can plug in the Bluefin and load the standard map back on, which also removes ecu counters so dealer cant tell ive remapped. I hope

Jan 24, 2011
Hmm, tempted by this blue fin device after all. Seems less hassle. However angel tuning are only in Banbury so I could try and book myself in there for Saturday morning. What do you think guys? My gut says wait and get an angel remap...

Jan 24, 2011
A little, but whenever I google this sort of thing or search forums, remap is always the recommended option. Then again I've seen positive reviews about bluefin devices too. I had my Leon remapped and loved the result, and I've never used a tuning box. They seem a bit crude to me?

Sausageinabun

Jul 5, 2014
Manchester
I personally don't have one, however three of my wormates do, and all swear by it, both as an option, and as a stealthy alternative.

They all have the same make by the way.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.