Chip or remap - mobile?

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
Interesting thread - I'm toying with what can be done with my car (2.0T TSI), so still valuable feedback on various suppliers even though related to the Diesels.

Anyone know if the ECUs on '10' plate 2.0T TSIs are ECU locked?

Jan 24, 2011
Interesting thread - I'm toying with what can be done with my car (2.0T TSI), so still valuable feedback on various suppliers even though related to the Diesels.

Anyone know if the ECUs on '10' plate 2.0T TSIs are ECU locked?

If you want a purely biased opinion, if I had another VAG turboed petrol car I would be straight to AMD as the map I had on my leon was pure awesome.

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
If you want a purely biased opinion, if I had another VAG turboed petrol car I would be straight to AMD as the map I had on my leon was pure awesome.

Thanks for the verdict - they certainly are one of my narrowed down options. At the mo, think AMD, P-torque and Shark tuning look most interesting based on quoted improvements and being some of the more reputable and discussed - but quoted improvements are one thing and actual improvements are another I suppose.

Edit/ Do you know if AMD's maps are switchable (e.g. through cruise control buttons)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Thanks for the verdict - they certainly are one of my narrowed down options. At the mo, think AMD, P-torque and Shark tuning look most interesting based on quoted improvements and being some of the more reputable and discussed - but quoted improvements are one thing and actual improvements are another I suppose.

I would say for a petrol car Revo Ptorque or AMD are your best bets, but that is only going by what I saw when I used to have the Leon. I had a readers ride on the forum here for a while.

Back then Revo had a rep for being aggressive maps that didn't carry through the range and AMD were smoother. This is judging by the posts I read at the time. The AMD map was smooth and bloody powerful. The drive home was so fun, unbelievable torque. Had to really watch it at times. I heard it was easy to find yourself approaching triple figures accelerating down a slip road ;)

Jan 24, 2011
Well my bluefin is arriving tomorrow with a free panel filter from demon tweeks. Ive seen very good superchips reviews on audi forums for the 140 tdi engine. Hopefully it remaps and I don't need the ecu unlocked. Superchips said on the phone it's worth giving it a go as my car is inbetween when they started locking some ecus and then locked all of them. Fingers crossed.

uknowthat

Apr 3, 2014
Nice one mate let me know how u get on. Give it a couple of days as the ecu resets all parameters and has to relearn.
With regards to the panel filter I've fitted one today. Got worried and it was half the thickness of the stock one. But it it the right one. It's a bit tight but fits

Reactions: tom0311
Jan 24, 2011
Well it's read the data from the car, I'm just uploading it to my PC now. I guess the ECU wasn't locked after all.

The device itself seems pretty cheaply made, makes horrible noises, but I'm excited to see what difference it's made :D

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
The bluefin desktop software times out reading from the device... while in the 'reading bluefin' stage.

Jan 24, 2011
The install is complete. Now I have to wait until 5pm to test it out on the drive home from work :(

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
It differs depending on each vehicle and the equipment used. You'll get it where you can read it but not write or you can't read it but it'll write with a pre built file!?

Jan 24, 2011
It differs depending on each vehicle and the equipment used. You'll get it where you can read it but not write or you can't read it but it'll write with a pre built file!?

Weird. Anyway, it worked :) Mine is a 2011 model exeo but was in between when they locked all ECU's and only locked some.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
It varies depending on which the year and which model/engine, Revo had an excellent list in a technical bulletin but i cant find it since the website overhaul, may have it saved at home. Maybe MJ has access to it?

In short, you can read but will fail the write process as MJ mentioned. The only time ive seen a fail to read, but writing is ok, is on the very old Bosh ME3.1 ecu. I've successfully read tricore EDC17's but never even bothered attempting a flash

Last edited:

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
Weird. Anyway, it worked :) Mine is a 2011 model exeo but was in between when they locked all ECU's and only locked some.

Good stuff - let us know how it is.

I'm still thinking about the mapping my petrol - a bit put off by some of the comments on the a4 forums saying that putting the power down in the wet is an issue (as my wife will be driving it most the time and not sure she will appreciate driving in the winter. Do the diesels have similar issues as they have much more torque or are the gearings set differently to avoid this?

Jan 24, 2011
Good stuff - let us know how it is.

I'm still thinking about the mapping my petrol - a bit put off by some of the comments on the a4 forums saying that putting the power down in the wet is an issue (as my wife will be driving it most the time and not sure she will appreciate driving in the winter. Do the diesels have similar issues as they have much more torque or are the gearings set differently to avoid this?

Well I've just driven 41 miles home with the new map. Most of that is motorway cruising but I got the chance to test it out on a few slip roads. It is very noticeable in first and second. Getting up to 60 is a lot faster. 3rd gear is decent enough and so is 4th. 5th and 6th I am not bothered about, there's more grunt there but nothing special. I noticed 6th gear is capable of accelerating uphill at 55-60 now which it wasn't really before.

I might get it on a rolling road when I can. I'd be interested what the gains actually are. The map definitely improved during the journey. No impressive delivery of torque all at once like I got with the remapped Cupra R 225, but a very smooth delivery.

So yes, the car is quicker especially going from a standing start to 60. It's not an aggressive map, but you can feel things happening a lot earlier in the accelerator pedal travel, if that makes sense.

It was pretty easy to do, too. Now to fit the air filter. Was it worth the money? I'll tell you in a week to give it more time to adapt :)

Just to add, I should be pulling slightly less torque than my remapped LCR now. In comparison, the LCR snapped my head back when I put my foot down, the Exeo doesn't. I think diesels and petrols just deliver power in a different way.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Well I've just driven 41 miles home with the new map. Most of that is motorway cruising but I got the chance to test it out on a few slip roads. It is very noticeable in first and second. Getting up to 60 is a lot faster. 3rd gear is decent enough and so is 4th. 5th and 6th I am not bothered about, there's more grunt there but nothing special. I noticed 6th gear is capable of accelerating uphill at 55-60 now which it wasn't really before.

I might get it on a rolling road when I can. I'd be interested what the gains actually are. The map definitely improved during the journey. No impressive delivery of torque all at once like I got with the remapped Cupra R 225, but a very smooth delivery.

So yes, the car is quicker especially going from a standing start to 60. It's not an aggressive map, but you can feel things happening a lot earlier in the accelerator pedal travel, if that makes sense.

It was pretty easy to do, too. Now to fit the air filter. Was it worth the money? I'll tell you in a week to give it more time to adapt :)

Just to add, I should be pulling slightly less torque than my remapped LCR now. In comparison, the LCR snapped my head back when I put my foot down, the Exeo doesn't. I think diesels and petrols just deliver power in a different way.

Air filter is in now, took 5 mins. Will see if it makes a real difference tomorrow but I noticed slightly quicker response driving to the shops.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.