Chip or remap - mobile?

Jan 24, 2011
Still seems to improving slowly. 1st and 2nd gear are now fantastic, great for roundabouts. Still not much oomph in the low range, picks up around 1700 but once it's there it's there right through to the red line.

What else is there you can do to these engines in the way of performance?

Last edited:

uknowthat

Apr 3, 2014
Looked into uprated turbo, but they to expensive so may look into uprated intercooler. Other then it could get expensive

Jan 24, 2011
I think after a few days driving the car now I can form a decent opinion of the superchips map.

First and second gear still very impressive. Third gear is a long gear and once at the 1700rpm mark pulls nicely all the way through. From there onwards it gets slightly less impressive. 4th gear is decent but 5th and 6th are still very boring.

I don't think the car pulls much earlier in the range than it did before, although there is more torque available lower down. Pulling away from a stop to 70 (lights onto a slip road etc) it is much faster, after that it's not very noticeable, but what else do you need.

I only got 600 miles before I was verging near empty and the trip computer said 60 miles left, which translates to circa 47mpg. Not too bad but I was expecting more like 700. Probably got a bit heavy on the foot after the remap.

I might run without the map for a few days next week then put it back on to do another comparison.

How do other 'superchipped' owners compare their maps with this?

PeeJay

Jan 22, 2014
Sounds good - they do have VERY long gears so I suspected 6th would still be humdrum.

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
One thing I am trying to figure out - and this maybe more a petrol issue than a diesel - is to check that traction isn't too badly affected from a standing start - especially in the wet. How's that been?

Jan 24, 2011
One thing I am trying to figure out - and this maybe more a petrol issue than a diesel - is to check that traction isn't too badly affected from a standing start - especially in the wet. How's that been?
If you hammer it in first you get wheel spin, second is fine. In fact I'm really impressed how well this car puts the power down and sticks to the road. It's been dry as a bone on the days I've been driving though.
Sounds good - they do have VERY long gears so I suspected 6th would still be humdrum.

Yeah it is humdrum but it's only a cruising gear after all. Im really surprised how long second and third are. 60 in second is no problem at all. Geared even longer than my LCR which would red line at about 55 in second, and that's a petrol!

uknowthat

Apr 3, 2014
I put mine back to standard after bluefining. and you really notice what the map has done. it felt flat and and 6th gear was awful as standard but I put the Bluefin back on and realised it had actually made a massive difference I could drop to 50-60 in 6th and it would pull. as in standard it did nothing.

the lack of power felt in higher gears is cos of the long ratios but the torque is there. if you look at the speedo u can see it is pulling harder

Jan 24, 2011
I put mine back to standard after bluefining. and you really notice what the map has done. it felt flat and and 6th gear was awful as standard but I put the Bluefin back on and realised it had actually made a massive difference I could drop to 50-60 in 6th and it would pull. as in standard it did nothing.

the lack of power felt in higher gears is cos of the long ratios but the torque is there. if you look at the speedo u can see it is pulling harder
Yeah I'm sure I will notice a big difference to be fair. 6th does accelerate but I wouldn't say 50 to 60 it 'pulls', more like struggles to find anything until 65 then starts to find its feet. Perhaps the maps are slightly different. Easily good enough for me though.

With the standard map 6th gear really is just a cruising gear :D

Last edited:

uknowthat

Apr 3, 2014
maybe the maps are different, are you planning to rolling road ours. if you do we can maybe compare.
I do a lot of driving on the m25 and they have roadworks with average speed cameras, I stick to 55 and when they end mine pulls where it never used to I had to drop to 4th.

I work nights and drive home sometimes when no one is about and the top speed is greatly improved I wont say what as I may getting a driving :ban: but its at least 15mph greater

Cookies

May 18, 2014
County Down
How much is the remap compared to the tuning box?

I'd love to get it done. What are the power gains on the 170?

Cooks

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Jan 24, 2011
How much is the remap compared to the tuning box?

I'd love to get it done. What are the power gains on the 170?

Cooks

I got the bluefin for 400 with a free air filter from demon tweeks. I wouldn't bother with a tuning box personally. The 170 I am not sure about, I'll rolling road mine when I have time. I can't even remember the gain figures to be honest think it's 33 bhp and similar torque. I imagine a 170 after being mapped would be on par with the 2.4 alfa 159.

Cookies

May 18, 2014
County Down
Cheers Tom.

I've read that the gains are anywhere from 30 to 50 bhp. I'd just like to hear the real world opinions as sometimes some set ups offer worse driveability than the factory settings if that makes sense.

Your last sentence just sold it to me lol....

Cooks

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
You can currently get Revo stage 1 software for the 170cr which is regarded as the best software available for less than £400 inc vat.

Approximate figures are 210-215bhp and they go like **** off a wet shovel. It's one of the most popular software flashes.

Cookies

May 18, 2014
County Down
Cheers MJ. Must investigate that. Ideally I'd like something from a reputable source and the revo maps are pretty top notch.

Jan 24, 2011
Cheers MJ. Must investigate that. Ideally I'd like something from a reputable source and the revo maps are pretty top notch.

If you're lucky enough to be near a dealer who can do it without much trouble. I was after revo but it would have taken a whole day and over 400 quid, so I didn't bother. If I had a 170 I may have.

Jan 24, 2011
The sale came in just after you'd bought the bluefin as well, bad timing :(
Yep :( perhaps I'll change it in the future. For now I'm more than happy with the bluefin for my needs.

Can you use the bluefin on more than one car? I wonder if there's any resale value should I change my mind in the future.

Cookies

May 18, 2014
County Down
If you're lucky enough to be near a dealer who can do it without much trouble. I was after revo but it would have taken a whole day and over 400 quid, so I didn't bother. If I had a 170 I may have.
I'm across the pond in NI and I think most revo dealers are over with you.

Cooks

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.