Chipex or touch up paint

b8er1234

Aug 29, 2012
Kent
Stone chips as expected over the bonnet and front bumper. Whats best to remedy them? Chipex or just get touch up paint stick? Do dealers sell the sticks or am I better off having a look online

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I thought I would never see the day, but I have to shamefully admit I have bought a car bra and it will go in during winter time :p

Will be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Is this the black cover that fits on the front of the bonnet? If so, be aware that if dirt and grit gets between the bonnet bra and the paintwork, it’s likely to cause scratches and swirls.

I suppose it comes down to which is the lesser of two evils; fit the bonnet bra and suffer the likely scratches and swirls or don’t fit it and risk the almost inevitable stone chips from all the grit and crap that spread on the roads in the winter being blasted at your paintwork.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Will be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Is this the black cover that fits on the front of the bonnet? If so, be aware that if dirt and grit gets between the bonnet bra and the paintwork, it’s likely to cause scratches and swirls.

I suppose it comes down to which is the lesser of two evils; fit the bonnet bra and suffer the likely scratches and swirls or don’t fit it and risk the almost inevitable stone chips from all the grit and crap that spread on the roads in the winter being blasted at your paintwork.

That's a valid point there - maybe if it is removed often and cleaned under it won't go so bad as you describe.

Either way, it is probably easier to polish scratches out than to touch up stone chips, which I am about to do.
In my first 2 weeks of owning the car, I got 2 very large and noticeable chips plus a cracked windshield, which is what prompted me to get this bra.

I never liked the looks of these things, but I also like my paint...

kgp280

Apr 19, 2018
Stone chips as expected over the bonnet and front bumper. Whats best to remedy them? Chipex or just get touch up paint stick? Do dealers sell the sticks or am I better off having a look online
Have used both the OEM and Chipex touch up kits. Colour match on both was good. :thumbup:Colour was Nevada white. What’s great with the Chipex kit is the blending solution that’s provided with there stuff. If like me you end up putting to much paint on a chip the blending solution is good at removing the excess.

silles

May 4, 2017
chip.jpg

got this surprise this weekend :(

car is 2 weeks old

ordered some touchup paint from seat, I'll try to cover it

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Best advice is don't use the massive brush that comes with for example the Seat touch up, buy small model brush. Makes a better job!

Reactions: silles

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
my advice is DO not use this piece of .s....

View attachment 261

i had to go to a body shop to sort it out ...

The problem with the manufacturer’s touch up paint is the brush is much too big in my opinion to apply paint just to fill the stone chip in the majority of cases. The paint also dries very quickly so once it’s on, it can be quite difficult to rectify a stone chip repair you’re not happy with. When I’ve used manufacturer’s touch up paint, I’ve applied it either a cocktail stick or the end of an unfolded paper clip, so it’s much easier to control the amount of paint you apply, and you can do it more precisely than with the brush inside the cap of the Seat paint.

I prefer the Chipex kit to the manufacturer’s touch up paint. The benefit of the Chipex kit is that if you’re not satisfied with your first attempt, you can remove the paint with the blending solution that’s supplied as part of the kit, and start again until you happy with the results, so no need to go to a body shop. You need to take your time and you probably won’t be happy with your first few attempts, but with practice you can get pretty good results.

silles

May 4, 2017
The problem with the manufacturer’s touch up paint is the brush is much too big in my opinion to apply paint just to fill the stone chip in the majority of cases. The paint also dries very quickly so once it’s on, it can be quite difficult to rectify a stone chip repair you’re not happy with. When I’ve used manufacturer’s touch up paint, I’ve applied it either a cocktail stick or the end of an unfolded paper clip, so it’s much easier to control the amount of paint you apply, and you can do it more precisely than with the brush inside the cap of the Seat paint.

I prefer the Chipex kit to the manufacturer’s touch up paint. The benefit of the Chipex kit is that if you’re not satisfied with your first attempt, you can remove the paint with the blending solution that’s supplied as part of the kit, and start again until you happy with the results, so no need to go to a body shop. You need to take your time and you probably won’t be happy with your first few attempts, but with practice you can get pretty good results.

yeah, that's exactly what happened, put to much, I couldn't remove it, tried to cover it than got bigger and bigger.
it was only 20 quid to polish it off ,so not so bad. Not sure if i want to try again ..

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
@silles glad you got it off, as I said on Wednesday get a small brush, and few light coats are better than one.

Not sure how this blender works as I've never used chipex.

I don't ever use the laquer with the manufacturer kits either, maybe I should. But that is even harder to apply IMO.

I have some touch up that's for my other car which is oil based, it's so good.

This new paint for my white Leon is like tipex and soon comes off with the pressure washer so re apply quite often.