Chris Curzon's S60 T5 Build Thread

ChrisCurzon

4WD FTW
Apr 9, 2006
Bolton
So i'm aware that this proberly won't be to many peoples tastes on here but i thought i would put up a build thread for the few people that are interested and since i'm going to the RR day at Awesome in December people can have a gander and know what there getting before they see it there!

Anyways i put my Teg up for sale after a lot of thought as i decided i wanted another turbo again but something different, it sold 3 days later so i had to think of what i wanted pretty quick, ive always liked these so i decided to have a change and go for it, went for this one in the end, yes i looked past the colour and decided that it was the best one around so i would have it (i have owned a yellow car so im obviously not too fussed about colour ;))

So for those who aren't up on there Volvo's (which probs is most) its an S60 T5 S - 2.3 Turbo, 250bhp 243flbts its pretty nippy! Its also a geartronic. Its of course got loads stuff on it being a Volvo - full leather, decent stereo/speakers, all the luxuries/toys and a boot big enough to live in. 2001 plate, 72K on the clock, full Volvo service history, spotless interior, fully valeted, basically everything i wanted!

So i picked the car up standard bar a set of tints around 3 weeks ago and so far ive done:
HIDs
Changed the sidelights and added some Silvertecs
Debadged it
Sprayed the interior wood look trim
Badgeless grille
Cold air feed
Custom 3" TIP
Filter
Boost gauge
Flatblade wipers

Ordered a couple more things that im waiting to be delivered and my future plans are a couple more little bits, a RICA remap and changing the wheel colour and no doubt a few more things ;)

Anyways some pics of how i picked it up, all i had done here was debadge it

DSCF1202.jpg

DSCF1204.jpg

DSCF1206.jpg

DSCF1211.jpg

DSCF1207.jpg

DSCF1208.jpg

DSCF1210.jpg

Added a badgeless grille and some Silvertecs

DSCF1212.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisCurzon

4WD FTW
Apr 9, 2006
Bolton
DSCF1214.jpg

Covered the wood look trim as im really not a fan of that

DSCF1218.jpg

DSCF1219.jpg

Next up was some HIDs and a boost gauge, boost gauge also is a volt metre when you first switch the car on

DSCF1222.jpg

DSCF1220.jpg

DSCF1230.jpg

ChrisCurzon

4WD FTW
Apr 9, 2006
Bolton
Then moved onto the engine side of things, wanted to get this bit done before i have it remapped, which should hopefully be in another week or two. Bought a nice big Jetex filter as ive always had a good experience with these filters, then i wanted a TIP so i decided to make a custom 3" one myself, bought some bits and got to work. Thanks to Danny for the help on the TIP too and the loan of a silicone bend :D

DSCF1224.jpg

DSCF1223.jpg

DSCF1225.jpg

Next up was to remove the standard plastic TIP

DSCF1234.jpg

Then i mocked up my new TIP against the old one, although i have added a 45 degree bend in since to make it sit better, miles more difference though

DSCF1239.jpg

With making the TIP the first thing i had to do was cut down the metal 90 degree pipe i had bought and then attach the PCV valve into my new metal section. This was the hardest bit of the whole process due to its size but a bit of time with a dremmel and i got there, then just added a grommet and some silicone and it was sorted

DSCF1235.jpg

DSCF1237.jpg

Next was to attach the self sealing tee's for the vac lines that go into the TIP. Attached these into the 45degree pipe that ive added in. Cut down a straight piece of alloy piping to the right size and attached that to it

DSCF1241.jpg

DSCF1242.jpg

ChrisCurzon

4WD FTW
Apr 9, 2006
Bolton
Last but not least was to jubilee clip it all together and make sure it was tight, attach the MAF, filter and then make a new cold air feed up as i lost the original one when i removed the standard airbox, although i have used part of the original one so it still fits in the standard place. Then had to take some pics of the finished article. Really happy with it, can tell a difference with it straight off, will feel much better knowing that when its mapped its got a proper solid TIP on it now

DSCF1244.jpg

DSCF1245.jpg

DSCF1246.jpg

DSCF1243.jpg

Will do my best to keep this updated so that if anyones interested they can have a read

Chris

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Big thanks to DannY_Lad too for showing me how to actually Mock up a Tip and list the actual parts needed....

Also il be getting my OAP Bus pass and zimmer frame plus ive started to complain alot too...

Was that going to be you next post mate?

Looking good asuals..

ChrisCurzon

4WD FTW
Apr 9, 2006
Bolton
Big thanks to DannY_Lad too for showing me how to actually Mock up a Tip and list the actual parts needed....

Also il be getting my OAP Bus pass and zimmer frame plus ive started to complain alot too...

Was that going to be you next post mate?

Looking good asuals..

I had the bottom part all sorted, which is actually the hardest part chump face and i told you i needed the 45 degree bend you mong, you just happended to have one on your car that has been off the road so long ive gotten old and bought a Volvo of all things :p

You weren't complaing when you were cruising in style today were you, in fact im sure you were talking about ride comfort :blink:

Thanks anyways for the help chump, next up remap you'll love it then :D

ChrisCurzon

4WD FTW
Apr 9, 2006
Bolton
i like this :D
the t5 is fantastic

Cheers mate

Is just needs a small GT3071R doesnt it chris...

Daniel stop tempting me :D

Different, but I do like it (apart from the colour) :)

Cheers mate. Gold wouldn't of been my colour of choice but there few and far between so i went for the best one, interior/exterior and engine wise. It does look a little better in person though, more of a flake in it

Danny was telling me about this a few weeks ago, and it does look smart. Does it actually go round corners?

Cheers mate. To be honest Alex i was worried about that as coming from as DC2 not much handles well in comparison but i was surprised, it handles better as standard than my Ibiza did.....although the rear arb is as thick as my leg so i guess that helps

ChrisCurzon

4WD FTW
Apr 9, 2006
Bolton
Got some more bits that ive ordered:
Team Heko wind deflectors
UK pressed plates with plain plate holders
Fire extinguisher

DSCF1248.jpg

Fire extinguisher fitted nicely in the boot

DSCF1252.jpg

Wind deflectors fitted

DSCF1256.jpg

New pressed plates fitted

DSCF1263.jpg

DSCF1254.jpg

Also my boot spolier finally arrived, really pleased with it, added a ncie subtle touch

DSCF1258.jpg

DSCF1260.jpg

DSCF1261.jpg

DSCF1262.jpg

jamiebennett81

CHRIST Chris, I have just been pointed in the direction of this thread as I was talking about your Teg and how much I loved it

then you go and do this :lol:

I would have never of imagined in a million years you would have gone for a Volvo (sounds dirty when I say it out loud :D)

subtle and quality changes as always

whats next, remap? or gunna try and sort out the handling first?

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Looking nice. My parents have had an 850 T5 estate a la touring car, for about 8years now, and its a quick car for its size. Built like a tank and nice toys inside.

Cars looking nice, you've done some nice tasteful mods, will be watching this thread, had a soft spot for quick Volvos for a while :ban:

ChrisCurzon

4WD FTW
Apr 9, 2006
Bolton
To be honest I wanted something that was comfy, blended in but quick so I went for this as the value for money is immense and plus now I'm gunna be a dad the teg wouldn't of been around too
much longer :(

Have had the wheels done now and done some other bits so it looks smarter, will get pics up later

Plan is to remap it - 300bhp and similar amount in torque from a stage 1 map I don't think you can go wrong :D

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
looking good mate, my dad has a silver 2.0T s60 and i rib him for having a slower less economical car that me

how much did it set you back out of interest?

ChrisCurzon

4WD FTW
Apr 9, 2006
Bolton
You know baby seats add 10bhp straight away lol. Give me a tx if you need one aswel mate, we've got 2 here, just cover postage an you can have one :)

Good to know mate, I'll keep it in mind :D

looking good mate, my dad has a silver 2.0T s60 and i rib him for having a slower less economical car that me

how much did it set you back out of interest?

Paid just under 4k for it. 72k on it, full Volvo service history, 12 months MOT, 6 months tax and 3 months warrenty
Interior is spotless and the exterior isn't too shabby so I was pretty happy with that price :D

Unfortunately they do drink fuel, need a remap though according to the Volvo forums the mpg gets better :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members