Cleaning inside the headlamp.

Baz1

Dec 6, 2004
Leicester
Is it possible to take apart a headlamp unit, in particular getting into the unit to clean the inside of the headlamp glass bit?

Mines kinda gone fuzzy and im sure its blocking a lot of the light from it onto the ground. I dont know if the HIDs installed have almost burned a haze onto the clear plastic or not, so thought can I try to clean it or something.

Or maybe buy a new headlamp unit??

Any thoughts or ideas on this please?

maxlifo

05 MK4 Ibiza FR 20VT
Jul 30, 2007
Sounds like condensation to me Baz. Do a search and you'll find it's quite a common and well known problem. I have the same problem on mine :( Various things you can do with varying levels of success...

Baz1

Dec 6, 2004
Leicester
I should have said its not condensation. Ive had the headlamps replaced last year under warranty. This looks totally different, like cloudy, dirty on the inside. Ill try take a pic soon so you can see what I mean. For sure its definately NOT condensation.

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
ya baz..i av the same...had it on last one too...its not water...its like a haze...like the inside is rough not clear and smooth??

Baz1

Dec 6, 2004
Leicester
ya baz..i av the same...had it on last one too...its not water...its like a haze...like the inside is rough not clear and smooth??

Yeah that sounds like it mate. Have you got HID lights installed or the standard bulbs?

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
iv standard 1.2 2004 beza,,,last one was '03. its all spoty..its looks like it would need really hard wipe to remove too..not just a dusting...defintly reduces vis...[:@]

Baz1

Dec 6, 2004
Leicester
Hmm ok well it looks like a lens fault rather than a HID heat problem that I thought it might be.

So, anyone know if I can take it apart to try clean it??

i started to have this problem with my Altea Headlights. I took both back covers off for a half a day to allow the condensation to go, then got two Silica Gel bags and shoved them in the back of the headlight. seems to have does the trick. once a month i do the same thing just to stop it happing again. The silca gel packs can be dried out again over a radiator and have also heard you can pop them into the over for a few mins.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yep that does work on condensation but this isnt condensation so obviously isnt what you need to do :whistle:

Hummm, how frustrating all that well intended help - but only half directed at the real problem. I think that its a bit difficult to reach most of the inside of the "lens" as is there not a "cup" cover where the dip beam bulb is? How successfully have others been in cleaning up this plastic without marking it even more?

Baz1

Dec 6, 2004
Leicester
Exactly, condensation is NOT the problem here. Its a odd hazy dirty like mark, almost like its burned on from the inside.

So no one knows if the unit can be opened up for a good clean?

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
I got nearly all of it off, only the very edges were hard to get.
I just used various things from around the garage with bits of dry clean rags stuck on the end until i got most of it out. :D

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
Yeah it is tricky and a pain in the arse but looked much better once i had done it :D
Its best to get the unit out and take the whole thing inside, sit down, get a drink, and take your time, otherwise you will get stressed and drop one on the floor :whistle: like i did, luckily it didnt break :D

Baz1

Dec 6, 2004
Leicester
Moisture from dirty puddles then :think:

Thing is, it doesnt look like moisture or condensation, looks very dry. Ill try to clean them over the weekend if the weather holds up. Its a odd one.

Ill try get a pic up so you guys can see what I mean too.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
It was probably moisture from a dirty puddle and then the water dryed out leaving the dirt behind.

Same as a muddy stain on your clothes but you can brush the dry mud off of them.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise