Clicking noise coming from fuse box

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Since I got my Ibiza, ive noticed a clicking noise coming from what I'd imagine is the fuse box (if its in the same place as my mk3) - lower right of the dash, below the steering wheel.

It can be heard when the ignition is on and when the engine is running.

It sounds like a relay or something, was just wondering if anyone else had this noise?

Last edited:

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
there is a little clip in there to help you take out your fuses, maybe that it rattling against something? Just pull the panel off and it should fall out and you can keep it somewhere safe. Just give the panel with the dip in it a good tug and it will pop right off.

Might not be the issue, but at least you can have a good look in the fuse box.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I think you're right about a relay.

It's a bit poop really as these days good quality cars have solid state relays that don't click and therefore don't spark and go faulty.

harper2009

Feb 15, 2010
i seem to have the same clicking noise coming from the same place, the cars in next week for the spolier getting fitted so i will mention it then. It clicks when the wipers are on but i can also hear it when i turn the ignition off and all the electrics.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
i seem to have the same clicking noise coming from the same place, the cars in next week for the spolier getting fitted so i will mention it then. It clicks when the wipers are on but i can also hear it when i turn the ignition off and all the electrics.

That does sound exactly like the problem I have. Have you been to the dealer about it yet? I still haven't got round to looking at mine yet.

harper2009

Feb 15, 2010
My spoiler arrived today but there was no courtesy cars this week !!Explained to dealership and there gona have a look when the spoiler gets put on, on monday now !

Dec 3, 2009
LOL! i've notice that too when my wiper blades come on.... and odd reason i get a electric shock when i close my door, hmmmm.....

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Yep I think its just static from the new paint or the dealers polish or something, mine was terrible for giving me shocks when I close the door - but now I've washed it a few times it doesn't seem as bad.

harper2009

Feb 15, 2010
Got the Ibiza back today with spoiler fitted :) But dealer said that they could hear the noise so they thought that it was the Wipers so they have changed all the wiper blades :confused: if the problem persits go back to them !! The noise is coming from the fuse box they just couldnt be bothered i fink !!!

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
|Yeha, i've now noticed the same noise, it only happens when the wipers are on intermittant, clicks when they go up and click when they get back down again.
Weirdly it doesn't happen when they're on either constant setting or when used "on demand".
Definitely not the blades, lazy dealership IMO

Nicks_scotland

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has taken their clicking ibiza back to the dealer yet and got any answers? Only had car for 4 weeks and I noticed this clicking noise this morning. Most bizzare and I have a long trip planned on Friday, typical!

Nicola :)

Nicks_scotland

Just spoke to the dealer in Inverness and he says that it shouldn't be making a rapid clicking noise, that it won't be anything serious otherwise I would have had a warning light, and to swing by next time I'm there so he can have a listen and see if they can figure out what it is.....

arnbru

did anyone ever figure this one out? i can hear a relay clicking noise coming from mine.

byerss

Scotland!
Apr 24, 2012
Falkirk , Scotland
They are meant to do this the clicking is the two metal contacts coming together and is normal operation nothing to worry about at all.

You can hear this noise for yourself if you turn the radio etc off and turn on the wiper you will hear the relay click in "wipers moving" then click off "wipers come to rest"

Hope this helps.

arnbru

Cheers for the reply. But I hear this clicking noise as soon as I turn on the ignition. With no wipers on.

It's a constant clicking noise. It does sound like a relay constantly changing state.