Climate control issues

bumblegee

Howdy Guys and Gals i am having trouble with my climate control making a nasty grinding noise coming from behind the glovebox . I have asked my local seat garage if they have had any similar reports of the same noise and they said the fan has packed up and a new one would be €400 i think this is a little steep would anyone know of a simple fix for the problem ?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Pretty much has to be the fan. Try turning it on and off using the manual controls to confirm.

It's not an easy job, usually the dash has to come off (but I don't know how the Mk.2 Leon goes together). Try 3rd party spares suppliers (GSF and the like) or a scrap merchant for a cheaper unit.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Fixing the fan is very straightforward, and should be considered your first option before spending any money. The fan gets clogged up with much, hair, cigarette tar and all sorts of other unpleasantness, five minutes with a hoover, some alcohol wipes, and maybe a toothbrush will sort it out nine times out of ten.

My mates didn't work at all, he took it out and spent a while cleaning it, stuck it back in and it worked fine.

Failing that, the next stop for me would be GSF or even Ebay for a replacement. But try cleaning it first.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
on the mk2s they suffer from water vapour ingress to the innards of the fan housing, vacuuming it will do nothing. You need to spray the rusted bits with the likes of wd40 and put an unfused 12v feed to it to free it off (doing this without a fuse will allow it to run with an increased ampage and should'nt blow the unit).