Cloud of smoke...

Poundie

Aug 25, 2009
London
Hi,

Today my cupra has developed a cloud of smoke, it happends after ive really booted it through the gears, then say, come to a roundabout and then pulling off normally, massive cloud of smoke and slight juddering from the car coming into when the turbo boosts.

Has anyone had this problem?

Dan

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Sounds like something to do with the air intake, check to make sure air filter is on properley and if still getting the problems check the MAF sensor. If you have VAGCOM it should tell you.

Joe

Poundie

Aug 25, 2009
London
Sorry for sounding stupid as im still learning about the 20v engines, where can i find the catch tank and MAF sensor, i do have a VAGCOM Cable!

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Sorry for sounding stupid as im still learning about the 20v engines, where can i find the catch tank and MAF sensor, i do have a VAGCOM Cable!

A catch tank is an aftermarket item which you will know if you have it will be connected to the breather pipe coming off the rocker cover.

VAGCOM is also an aftermarket thing which is a diagnostics tool that reads information from your cars ECU. Worth having... That reminds me I need to get it...

As for the MAF (mass air flow) sensor that's in the plastic housing just after your air filter/ box it records air flow within the system.

Poundie

Aug 25, 2009
London
Cheers for that :D

Done it again today, floored it through 3rd, came to a roundabout, went to pull away and as it was coming into boost, big cloud of smoke!

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Does sound more turbo related although I know that if you take off yoir air filter it will also cause a lot of black smoke because it runs too rich *I believe*, new MAF sensor will probs set you back around £80-100 if it's turbo seals you'll have to ask for someone elses advice as I haven't done these before....

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members