Clunking Noise - Brake Pads/Suspension

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Since upgrading my discs and pads to MTEC and RedStuff EBC I have a new sound!

There is a clunking sound over rough roads (mostly bumps and manhole covers) which appears to be movement in the pad within the calliper. It doesnt happen over speed bumps.

I know this is a thing that happens and it only started happening 2000miles into the new brake disc/pad setup.

I took the pads out and replaced them to see if it was the retaining clips and this seems to temporarily reduced the sound but there is certainly still some there.

Has anyone used that self-adhesive backing that you can put on the pads to make them a more snug fit?

By the way, the MTEC C Hook discs and RedStuff pads perform exceptionally. I had YellowStuff all round which was amazing when hot on the track but too 'bitey' for the road/wife so have downgraded the fronts to RedStuff which feel a lot better when cold. Dust isnt too bad either. :)

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Yes, they seem to be. The strangest thing is that it didnt start for 2-3000 miles after changing the discs and pads.

So i then changed the pads to RedStuff (as the Yellows were noisy) and took my friendly Cupra mechanic out for a test drive and it doesnt make a sound. Two days later the knocking returns.

I am 99% sure that it is brake related as there is no sounds made if you hit broken roads whilst touching the brake.

The absurd thing is the spring clips that hold the pads in place are really tight and do seem to hold the pads firmly so im not sure why they should be able to knock around.

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Yeah - I did the work myself and then when the noise started i took it to my VAG mechanic who checked the whole wheel assembly and brake assembly with me watching.

strange as.

boggle

Dec 28, 2012
KENT
i had a similar knock over sharp bumps. open the bonnet, look at the cover panel over the shocks and tap where the rubber meets the wing. is this the noise?

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
good idea - i will check after work.

the sound is metallic so it would be weird if a plastic part caused it but worth a try!

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
I put on Ferodo pads and got the same. I can use like a small screwdriver and move the whole pad perhaps 5 mm up and down from the outside, don't even have to take off the wheel, no wonder it is clunking all the time [:@]
Also damn squeaking all the time. OEMs aren't so bad after all.

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
I had terrible squeaking from the YellowStuff but the RedStuff are quiet as a dormouse. Much better for every day (which is what they are recommended for..)

I don't seem to have the same movement that you report - the clips hold the pads snug.

I have managed to stop the noise now though - by pumping the brake pedal.... I sat stationary and did 5-6 full depressions on the brake and now I no longer have the clunking. I don't know what the mechanics are in terms of the callipers default position but perhaps i have decreased this gap between the pads and discs now?

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
UPDATE.

All of the third party pads i used were too small - in terms of total width where the pad is held in place in the calliper. Having now gone to a new set of OEM pads (TRW) they are wider than the EBC pads and the Pagid ones. The knocking was caused by the pad being able to move up/down in the calliper - not side to side as i thought, they are snug to the disc so cant rattle against the disc. This is exactly as Major Tom above explained:

"I put on Ferodo pads and got the same. I can use like a small screwdriver and move the whole pad perhaps 5 mm up and down from the outside, don't even have to take off the wheel, no wonder it is clunking all the time [:@]"

Seems absurd but the problem is solved. I also triple checked that I was using the correct pads from all three suppliers which I was. Now thrown away a set of YellowStuff Pads, a set of RedStuff Pads and a set of Pagid Pads.....

How can serious pads suppliers like EBC, Pagid and Ferrodo get it so wrong? Did TRW sneakily modify their calliper to **** with them?

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
Had EBC yellowstuff on previous 280, worked a charm (meaning that they didn't make any noise, brakepower and dust were ok but nothing special) and therefor was thinking of getting a new set but not if they might be as bad fitting as the Ferodos.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I put on Ferodo pads and got the same. I can use like a small screwdriver and move the whole pad perhaps 5 mm up and down from the outside, don't even have to take off the wheel, no wonder it is clunking all the time [:@]
Also damn squeaking all the time. OEMs aren't so bad after all.

Ah, that is interesting. I have TTRS brembo calipers with Pagid pads and I could have sworn I could hear the caliper clunking. But I just dismissed it as not possible. I figured maybe it was the caliper carrier, but I'll check the pads. Mine only started a few hundred miles in.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.