Clutch after Remap

1986brandon1

Nov 16, 2011
Chester
Hi guys, currently in the market for a new seat diesel. Im looking for ither a ibiza cupra or leon cupra or an ibiza pd130.

Will any/all of these need a new clutch after a remap? Im assuming the 130 probably will but the cupras might be ok?

What mods on the 130 will see 200bhp? Should a fmic,map and exhaust be sufficient?

Cheers in advance

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
its not the bhp that causes the clutch to fail its the torque
standard clutches are usually good for 25-30 % more than standard
a 150 running 200 bhp will have to have a clutch as over 300 lb/ft torque(330)
i run a cupra leon and had to have clutch after remap

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
Standard torque on a PD130 is 229 ft/lbs and after a Stage 1 remap it becomes about 270-280 ft/lbs.

1986brandon1

Nov 16, 2011
Chester
Ok thanks Leon2012. Will go and read some other threads in the tdi tuning as they seem to answer all my questions right now.

BigV

Apr 17, 2010
Ok thanks Leon2012. Will go and read some other threads in the tdi tuning as they seem to answer all my questions right now.

Had my 130 mapped and had to have the map taken straight off as the clutch was slipping straight away (didn't want to buy a new clutch at that time). Would say I wasn't overly impressed with the increase in performance either..... although I admit it was difficult to use it all with a lunched clutch.

I now drive a 150 and I would say it is better to just buy a 150 than get a 130 mapped. The 150 is more laggy especially in 1st/2nd, but once you get rolling there is no comparison IMO. I have had no desire to get the 150 mapped as the performance is enough to satisfy.

Don't forget the insurance implications of remaps and the fact that an new clutch will cost anywhere from £350 (bog standard) to £1k++ for an updated job.... and unless you are lucky enough to get a car with a new clutch recently fitted, you will almost certainly need one sooner rather than later.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
PD150 and PD130 have the same clutch. Only difference in the engine is a slightly different turbo size inlet and outlet plus stronger map.PD130 turbo can be either a Garret or KKK depending on make/model. Garret is stronger. Standard clutch is rated at 300 lb torque.

uksteffy

Jul 18, 2011
Bristol
PD150 and PD130 have the same clutch. Only difference in the engine is a slightly different turbo size inlet and outlet plus stronger map.PD130 turbo can be either a Garret or KKK depending on make/model. Garret is stronger. Standard clutch is rated at 300 lb torque.

the kkk turbos have aluminium blades, the garret uses titanium blades. the main reason the garret is the better/ stonger turbo. But as ur talking about clutches, i have a pd130, its remapped to 180 with 322ft/lbs running standard clutch and it was mapped at 70,000 miles now has 117,000 and still running 100%, yes like stated above its the torque that will cause clutch to slip but it also depend what way its been mapped and how usable the torque band is. Best to go somewhere that knows what there at when remapping instead of getting the cheapest remap. Do it once and do it right. best of luck lad

1986brandon1

Nov 16, 2011
Chester
So an update to this, I now have a Leon fr 150 Tdi and will soon be booking it for a map.

Who is still running standard clutch and how long do the hold?

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
My TDi 150 Leon was remapped at 55k miles and I asked for a conservative map to use the standard clutch.

I got 175hp / 300lb ft and the clutch still slipped. It was replaced by a new standard clutch (for cost reasons) which currently works OK but I dare say will start slipping again once it's worn.

Best to get the map tailored to produce extra torque above around 2000rpm as well as the transmission in my car definitely does not like handling big torque below that engine speed. I believe it is bad for the DMF.

The 150 TDI is a bit laggy anyway and the revs need to be kept over 2000rpm for good progress, which tends to mean revving it to at least 2500 - 2750rpm through the gears to keep the turbo on boost on the upchange. Would be more driveable with a closer-ratio gearbox IMO.

Ben

Apr 13, 2011
hull
I own the pd160 Ibiza Cupra tdi it's been mapped since 30k now at 55k running 195bhp with 300lbf torque.

It's still on standerd clucth not any sign of slippage or fault with my clucth still as strong as ever. The only problum I have seen with it being mapped is boost pipe failur but slowly have been replacing all boost hoses with forge uprated and has been fine since!.......

One other thing I have know of people on this site that have ran hybrid power on the tdi s (in case your not sure what i ment by hybrid power on a pd160 a hybrid would be running about 230 bhp and 360lbf of torque) and still on standerd clucthes it's not just down to ur clutch it's down to how u use it

1986brandon1

Nov 16, 2011
Chester
Cheers for the replies.

Ben how many miles have you done on the new standard clutch? There's another thread that has been updated from 2011 where a guy has been running a new standard clutch for 33k with no slippage.

What price was the clutch? Did you change flywheel also?

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Mk4 ibiza cupra bought from new. I remapped with 6k on the clock to 195/300. Now have 107k and still on original clutch with no problems. I live out in the country doing 50 miles a day to work so the power is used every trip.

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Cheers for the replies.

Ben how many miles have you done on the new standard clutch? There's another thread that has been updated from 2011 where a guy has been running a new standard clutch for 33k with no slippage.

What price was the clutch? Did you change flywheel also?

Done about 7k miles on the standard clutch and it is not slipping. Re-used the original dual mass flywheel.

Clutch was about £150 ISTRC but labour another £330-odd although that included fitting new front lower wishbone suspension bushes.

Might as well get the slave cylinder replaced at the same time as the clutch as it doesn't cost much and if it leaks the whole lot's got to come out again....

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise